HELP, I've made a tiny huge mistake - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 325Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 08:24 PM

My mother used to have a rat named Julie, lol, and she would come when you called her. She was pretty adorable.
voodoolamb likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Well bred pet rats are as far away from wild rats as a german shepherd is to a coyote. Completely different animals.

But regardless, an infestation like you have is dangerous for sure!!!

You should contact an exterminator that offers ContraPest stations. It's basically rat birth control. You can't move the river and with outdoor dogs that is always going to be a constant source of food. They will never go away. With constant heavy poison use you risk getting your dogs and other wildlife sick or killed. Then you will have rebound population spurts from the surviving rats and they will all be bait savvy and the poison won't work at all. Rats have an amazing ability to communicate with other rats about what is good to eat and not. Plus they can't vomit so they are always cautious when trying new foods. Poison resistance builds quickly in rat populations. Since the ContraPest doesn't make rats sick they never develop an aversion to it so it is the best choice for long term rat control - which is what you sound like you need.
I was a street kid in a port city. I'm sorry but I hate rats. I remember one sitting by me while I was laying down hissing/growling at me. These aren't cute rats, they are nasty, slimy rats the size of small dogs. I can't even be in the same room with one. They make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
selzer and tim_s_adams like this.
post #83 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I was a street kid in a port city. I'm sorry but I hate rats. I remember one sitting by me while I was laying down hissing/growling at me. These aren't cute rats, they are nasty, slimy rats the size of small dogs. I can't even be in the same room with one. They make the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
There is nothing wrong with not liking rats. Just as long as you do not make fun of or offend the people that do, or spread misinformation about pet rats from a place of prejudice.

It's the same as people who say all German Shepherds are vicious, aggressive, man eaters that have bad hips and deformed backs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Yeah don't offend the rats!
Wonder if the OP has the dog still?
post #85 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Yeah don't offend the rats!
Wonder if the OP has the dog still?
I'm sure the rats don't care, but the point is that there are many people who love them and get just as much joy and companionship from a rat that you do your dog.

No reason to go poop on other people's pet choices, especially when you are talking about a species that has been kept as pets longer than the GSD has been in existence, just because it is not your cup of tea.
post #86 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I kept a rat that was meant to be snake food (not my snake). He was pretty friendly, but his rat buddy I got for him was not. Not long after the nice one had passed my visiting nephew left the latch on the ferret cage off and sometime thereafter mean rat was no more.
selzer likes this.
post #87 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

I clicker trained my rats to come when called. During the initial intro of the clicker, one smartie grabbed the clicker and took it to her nest as her personal treat dispenser. Every day I gave them free time in the house. All openings under cupboards sealed, doors to bathrooms closed etc. Sometimes they were in the basement when I called and they came running up the stairs, sat on their hind legs to be picked up for a treat. Another one took some treats and disappeared into the couch to make a secret stash. They have brought just as much joy as dogs. Only now, Deja is too prey driven for me to have rats. They are adorable, sweet little mess makers. They are very intelligent. But they live a very short life: mine never got older than 3 years.
I have had many people who hated rats, meet mine and one of these friends got her own pet rats that same week. You can not judge pet rats if you have never interacted with one.
voodoolamb likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 11-27-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #88 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Knighted Member

This thread has taken on a life of its own...the OP said long ago they had decided to take the dog back!

And rats the size of small dogs is both cool and scary at the same time. LOL. As a youngster I had several pet rats, but one female sticks in my memory because she was such a sweetheart. And she's come running from wherever ahe was when called, tail held straight up in the air! So cute...better recall than many dogs I've met!

I also used to go fishing under a set of grain loading docks on the side of a large river...so I've met my share of the other rats, those with a mean growl and menacing presence, to know that it's not an exaggeration!
Sabis mom and Stangbait like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #89 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

Oh well we have Pugs and Rats and get another breed as options??? And I being a Boxer guy but of course, I am Pro Pug, just saying. I know nothing about Rat's as pets but at least they are not as creepy as "Spiders,"... uh oh, another constituency offended???

But back on point, hopefully the OP is pretty clear on the fact that this situation is not really there fault??? A whole bunch of folks that should have known better set the current situation up. Keeping there family safe and contacting a local GSD rescue is also a viable option. Perhaps the OP's mission with this particular GSD was to get him out of these people's hands all together, just a thought.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #90 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Oh well we have Pugs and Rats and get another breed as options??? And I being a Boxer guy but of course, I am Pro Pug, just saying. I know nothing about Rat's as pets but at least they are not as creepy as "Spiders,"... uh oh, another constituency offended???
One of my tarantulas got out of her tank and I found her in the hall way. In the middle of the night. While heading for a bathroom break. I've had the little fuzzbutt for nearly 20 years now and she made me yelp like a little girl.

Then there was the time I accidentally left the lid off of the deli cup I had an egg sac in... About a hundred electric blue spiderlings were crawling all over the walls and ceiling. That was fun.

I don't mind anyone calling any of my pets "creepy". Just don't go slinging around false "facts" about them or saying they make horrible pets when you haven't actually, ya know, had any as pets and we are cool.
tim_s_adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page