Attacking a stranger - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

See all these posts and helps are great but it seems all assume that Ava does it all the time. She doesnít. She is well socialized. Sees different kinds of people all the time. Everyday. If itís not a leash walk itís a dog park. Different dog parks. Different streets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava&Phoenix View Post
How to do this when the dog never reacts to anyone except that one person? Seen only a couple of time. Never before or in between these 2 happenings. Never to anyone else. Doesnít show fear at all. Iíve been watching her ever since and no sign of the same behaviour.

then be prepared for it to happen with this one person and shut it down before it starts.

personally, if my dogs don't like a particular person, I take notice. They don't get to behave like idiots but I do pay attention to their response. It could be something like a medicine in the persons system they smell or it could be bad juju.
Ava&Phoenix likes this.

post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
then be prepared for it to happen with this one person and shut it down before it starts.

personally, if my dogs don't like a particular person, I take notice. They don't get to behave like idiots but I do pay attention to their response. It could be something like a medicine in the persons system they smell or it could be bad juju.

Perfect! I watch them both like a hawk. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Crowned Member

I agree, one individual, and there may be something going on. Dogs can smell much better than we do. I have heard of a dog reacting to an individual, and days later he was diagnosed with colon cancer. Dogs can smell cancer. Was it a coincidence, though?

The canine brain, amongst its fellows, communicates almost exclusively through body language. Body language tells them the other dog wants to play, or wants nothing to do with you, or is more dominant, or submissive. They are in tune with body language, they are programmed that way. And, fearfulness has it's own smell. Dogs pick up on subtle traces of nervousness. When we are at shows, people will tell you to pop a mint if your nervous because nervousness will come out in your breath to the extent that the dog will notice and become apprehensive.

People who do not like dogs, who are afraid of dogs, who are constantly looking to get something they have no business having may be sending very distinct signals to the dog that we and the person have no clue about. And, people don't want to let you know that they are frightened of your dog, some of them. Or they do not like your dog. The dog knows.

Yeah, if your dog does not like an individual, the individual might not be trustworthy, might have something going on inside that the dog is picking up on, might be anything.

Keep watching your dog, and increase the distance between that person and your dog. Maybe you will never know what the issue is. Maybe in the future you find out he is a pretty notorious dope-addicted burglar that cases the houses of everyone he knows and cleans them out. Probably not. But you never know. If it is just one person, then maybe the dog is picking up on something you haven't.
Ava&Phoenix likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page