Attacking a stranger - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
OP stands for Original Poster.

My comments were not directed to you but to confrontational advice that was being dispensed by others.

Haha. I realized it. Great advice anyways. You never know who you are dealing with on the street. Better safe than sorry. Iíve been thinking about what you said though and the way this woman was I think Iím gonna approach her for some assistance. I know it sounds bizarre but she truly is the only one that itís happened with. The sidewalk is mostly deserted. Oddly enough I havenít seen her for a week now. Darn. Do you think she feels the sidewalk is her to protect? Although she isnít protective of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know your dog and it is hard to tell but it sounds like from what you describe that she is feeling a bit claustrophobic while in a compromising position.
Ava&Phoenix likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava&Phoenix View Post
Haha. I realized it. Great advice anyways. You never know who you are dealing with on the street. Better safe than sorry. Iíve been thinking about what you said though and the way this woman was I think Iím gonna approach her for some assistance. I know it sounds bizarre but she truly is the only one that itís happened with. The sidewalk is mostly deserted. Oddly enough I havenít seen her for a week now. Darn. Do you think she feels the sidewalk is her to protect? Although she isnít protective of the house.

I wouldn't do anything to focus your dogs attention on the woman, trying to convince her she's ok. I'd just let that bogeyman fade into the back ground by ignoring her.
Chip18 and Ava&Phoenix like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I wouldn't do anything to focus your dogs attention on the woman, trying to convince her she's ok. I'd just let that bogeyman fade into the back ground by ignoring her.

When this woman is around should I just go the opposite way? I know I should just chill as well. Ava definitely reads me like an open book.

post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Was this a nylon snap, or a metal snap, or was it a prong snapped open?

For puppies I like an adjustable martingale, meaning that they have the nylon quick-release snap thingy.
For adults I prefer a buckle collar for tags, and a fixed leather martingale. So far I haven't had any failures on either type of martingale. But, everything has a life.

It's kind of embarrassing, but no one got hurt, your dog was a little weenie, but so what? And don't listen to the lady's Cesar advice. Just smile and nod and say, "Yeah, I should do that." Nothing like agreeing with someone to shut them up.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Was this a nylon snap, or a metal snap, or was it a prong snapped open?

For puppies I like an adjustable martingale, meaning that they have the nylon quick-release snap thingy.
For adults I prefer a buckle collar for tags, and a fixed leather martingale. So far I haven't had any failures on either type of martingale. But, everything has a life.

It's kind of embarrassing, but no one got hurt, your dog was a little weenie, but so what? And don't listen to the lady's Cesar advice. Just smile and nod and say, "Yeah, I should do that." Nothing like agreeing with someone to shut them up.

It was an easy release prong. But it wasnít as good as the one Phoenix has. It has this small clasp and I think when it went thru the loop when I was correcting her it snapped open. Iíll look into what you suggested. Iíve been walking them separately now since the incident because I have one prong collar and because I truly believe itís the two of them going thru some juvenile behaviours. At home they are great. And separately they are awesome.

I apologized to the woman and I was not confrontational because I could just imagine how she felt. But I also was petrified. I wouldnít want to lose my dog because of MY mistake.

Thank you.

post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes. These would be great points if Ava wasn’t well socialized and displayed this behaviour on regular basis. She is a dog that travelled through out NA. She is a downtown dog that sits at Starbucks, plays with kids and is great at dog park. Spends no less than 2 hours in a day on workouts and socializing. She never displayed any aggression since or before and in between these 2 instances.
Oh I do understand and most likely it is perplexing??? But you got "lucky" not once but twice??? There is "something" there (in your dog) and now you know. When the chips are down, your dog seems to make "Poor Choices???" But you know "Crap happens" and as I am want to say, the best preparation for the unexpected ... is a "Well Trained Dog!" Been there done that ... worked out fine.

Had you stepped in front of your dog, the Collar (problem) never would have come into play! Since no asked why I am so and anal on this point, step in front. Distance = time to react for you! Speaking for myself, if my dog or a dog under my care that I "know" does try to "step out front of me after I block a approaching stranger???" I would turn into him and deal with it! Rest assured that if that happens ... JQP is freakin gone! The problem you had is not with the tool per se, it was because your dog was allowed to "Bang into the collar" y being in front of you. That never should have happened but it did hence the issue. Fortunately he forgot about his original target and was more focused on being free of restraint!

So it worked out fine (this time) but if it happens again, it might not work out so well??? You allowed (intentionally or not) him to make an "independent choice" and in my view he chose wrongly??? Now you know ... he can make "poor choices," that's all you need to know. You need to make better choices for him. Some owners don't get a third bite at the apple as it were.

Quote:
The collar is definitely faulty and getting that fixed. Which collar would you recommend? Phoenix is on prong as well but it’s a different one.
Yeah ... I figured that would get asked??? Chip specific rules and innate "Boxer Pig Headedness" keeps me from answering online! I will not redo my "work on this subject" here! That's pretty much as much as I can say without running afoul of:

Nuff said.

Quote:
On the recall note, agreed. When she wants to be terrible she is. She is a terrible brat when she knows Im irritated with her. Her recall is good overall. She becomes deaf in a situation like with the lady or used to be at the off leash dog park when she knew she was going home. We are working on it. Her crazy playful kicks in and she is done. No one is perfect I guess.
Continued recall issues, I'm gonnas say "Dog Park!" And yes no one is perfect.

Quote:
I definitely should have been more assertive towards this lady who insisted despite growling to keep moving towards us. And unfortunately the area I was in called for me to make her stop. I’m very attentive to the moods of my dogs and prevent any situation from escalating. Except the 2 times.
Well yeah some people "don't make good choices!" And if I ever faced someone that "Piggeldy ignore???" Yeah most likely they would have felt the need to dial 911??? My dog, my rules generally speaking I'm a pretty easy going. I've never had to raise my voice to anyone over not being allowed to pet Rocky???

But as the saying goes ... :

I will go out of my way to help "others" as that is kinda what I do for a living. Vets as a matter of fact are my specialty.

But "No One" Screws With my Dogs! NO means freaking, NO and "Strangers" best believe that! Hands off my freaking dog "if I say so!" Cause I don't play! I seem to get that point across pretty clearly without saying more than "I'd rather you do not, pet my dog!" Others are of course free to do as they see fit with there "Bubble Dogs" cause I don't play!
selzer likes this.

Last edited by Chip18; 11-16-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Knighted Member

It seems funny to me that both @Chip18 and @MineAreWorkingline are saying the same thing in different ways...yet disagreeing...

Get a better collar with some back up, as was mentioned earlier, then better manage your dog knowing this stuff can set her off. Keep working on on training, solid recall, paying attention to you when distractions are present, and it'll work itself out. You're fine, just stay alert to situations that can cause your dog to lose it (i.e. high stress situations for her).

Done!

And lighten up, she'll be fine, and so will you!
Chip18 and Ava&Phoenix like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
It seems funny to me that both @Chip18 and @MineAreWorkingline are saying the same thing in different ways...yet disagreeing...
!
LOL, well I'll take that as a compliment! But I had to stop as there is the "Bicking Clause," and I don't want to be the one to have it invoked. Hmm "self extinguishing behaviour" as it were???
selzer likes this.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post

Get a better collar with some back up, as was mentioned earlier, then better manage your dog knowing this stuff can set her off. Keep working on on training, solid recall, paying attention to you when distractions are present, and it'll work itself out. You're fine, just stay alert to situations that can cause your dog to lose it (i.e. high stress situations for her).

Done!

And lighten up, she'll be fine, and so will you!
Then you have totally misunderstood my posts. My comments focus on controlling and training one's dogs, others post to control the distraction.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page