Will My GSD Protect Me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Will My GSD Protect Me?

I was looking at Youtube videos of GSD's when I saw one that said 'Will An Untrained Dog Protect It's Owner?' (Here's the link;
) I'm guessing they mean one trained to protect you. But the three dogs trained to protect, did everything perfectly, they protected the girl from the man. But the three that weren't trained to protect, they did nothing. I have had my GSD for 8 years, will she protect me if a man approached me in an intimidating way? She is a female GSD. Whenever someone hits me, I say, "Ow! Keeli help me!" (Keeli is her name) And she will bark and growl at them until they leave me alone. Her bark is pretty intimidating so they usually back off. But what if they tried to really hurt me, would she actually attack them? Just wondering. I somewhat think she would. But I'm not positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:07 AM
Crowned Member

I'd say most of the time - no. Leerburg (lol, almost everything I know comes from there lol) says that though we'd like to believe they would - 99% of the time they won't.

I also read a post somewhere a little while ago, a girl was heartbroken (to use her words) because she had a man attempt to rape her and as she was fighting him off her 8 year old gsd female just walked around sniffing things the entire time. So she was having problems dealing with this fact.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Crowned Member

I absolutely despise that video. To me it makes no sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Well I've owned 3 GSD's for the past 15 years, untrained in protection.

And never been attacked when out and about with them, or had my house robbed.

So I'm of the very strong belief that most 'bad guys' would rather take their chances with someone with no dog or another breed, then risking the unknown with my big scary looking GSD's.

And that's enough for me

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLuverForever View Post
I was looking at Youtube videos of GSD's when I saw one that said 'Will An Untrained Dog Protect It's Owner?' (Here's the link; Will an untrained dog protect it's owner? www.BobsDogs.com - YouTube) I'm guessing they mean one trained to protect you. But the three dogs trained to protect, did everything perfectly, they protected the girl from the man. But the three that weren't trained to protect, they did nothing. I have had my GSD for 8 years, will she protect me if a man approached me in an intimidating way? She is a female GSD. Whenever someone hits me, I say, "Ow! Keeli help me!" (Keeli is her name) And she will bark and growl at them until they leave me alone. Her bark is pretty intimidating so they usually back off. But what if they tried to really hurt me, would she actually attack them? Just wondering. I somewhat think she would. But I'm not positive.
Sometimes when I tell my step dad to PRETEND to hit me, or attack me, Jaxx will growl and circle him and sometimes nip him.
And one time I was walking him and somebody approached me really fast and started looking at us. And then tried to get the leash. Jaxx growled. And that was enough to stop the guy.
I don't know what he would do if somebody was actually ATTACKING me but I'm happy he does this. He has no training at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Eden
Jaxx~ 11/13/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog"~ Unknown
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

There is a long thread somewhere in on here with this exact video. I can't remember the name of the thread though. I think something similar to yours.

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
I absolutely despise that video. To me it makes no sense.
Makes no sense? They are trying to point out the difference between a dog trained to protect you and one that is not. Now whether those dogs that were "untrained" were familiar with the "suspect" and therefore didn't react or they used some other method of keeping the dogs from reacting who knows.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

I'm harsh on this video. IMO it's a dog training companies generic advertisement- buyer beware.

It's hogwash to say a untrained dog will not protect you. Not all will, true. But when someone is in real danger, letting off a scent & a true scared body posture your dog will pick up on that. Again, my or may not react.

This girl has no relationship with the untrained dog, no bond.

Most bad guys don't pop around the corner with a bite suit & sleeve.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

And the untrained dog looks afraid of her own shadow. Come on. What a great example of a untrained dog. lol
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Here's another video that circulated & was silly.

Ok, I'm done being a party pooper in this thread

Would Your Dog Protect You From An Intruder? - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page