High-Pitched Shriek! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Question High-Pitched Shriek!

I was at my Great Aunt's today for Thanksgiving Dinner and her daughter, my cousin Sheryl brought a cute little mixed-breed black dog (her name is Emma) over to my Great Aunt's. Adorable dog (I don't have any pictures, I'm sorry), she said it was a supposed mix of a Yorkshire Terrier and a Wire-haired Terrier, some kind of new "Designer Breed" that the breeders got rid of due to something being wrong with her uterus, I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, she does the strangest thing for seemingly no reason at all. She emits an eardrum-shattering high-pitched squeal of DEATH. O_O You'd think we were trying to butcher that dog the way she screamed!
It didn't make sense when she did it either. No one was touching her, no one was really near her -- she did it right next to me when I finished scratching her behind the ears.
I absolutely cannot figure out why that dog squeals. She's well fed, she's well taken care of, she didn't have to go outside... She doesn't appear to have any behavioral issues, at least not with people! She'll take a nap in your arms even!

One second she'll be completely fine, and then she just lets out a blood-curdling shriek! It has the whole family confused.

Any thoughts guys?

Madeline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

If something is wrong with her uterus maybe she is in pain?

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Ah, she seemed perfectly fine, and she was adopted about a year and a half ago. She's been spayed but I don't know anything beyond that about her medical condition. She appears to be in good health though. I didn't think to ask my cousin any questions at the time, but I'll try to get a little more information for you guys next time I see her.

Madeline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

My Dutchie makes a gosh-awful noise that I would describe exactly how you described that dog's. He does it when he's "talking" to me, when he's overexcited or "herding" the other dogs in the fam. It's horrendous - I despise it lol.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

LOL! It really is painful, isn't it? Especially when they're right near you! o__O Ow.
I mean she's an adorable dog, very sweet, and loved my brother to bits, but I swear, that high-pitched squeal might make me love her a little less. (Kidding, but still. The sound certainly frays the nerves of everyone in the room!)

Madeline
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 02:25 AM
Elite Member

Yup, I ADORE my Madix but when that noise comes out of his mouth...it sends me right off the deep end lol. One of the reasons we're taking a time out in agility, I cannot think when he does it and I REFUSE to run a dog that makes that racket!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Master Member

If the dog was a Cattle Dog or a Cattle Dog mix I would say that you have the patented "Cattle Dog shriek"! lol I always swore that my former foster dog could knock bats out of the air, it was almost ultrasonic!!

Kristina
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAKZooKpr View Post
If the dog was a Cattle Dog or a Cattle Dog mix I would say that you have the patented "Cattle Dog shriek"! lol I always swore that my former foster dog could knock bats out of the air, it was almost ultrasonic!!

Kristina

cattle dog shriek? i've never heard that one before. lol.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page