Can anyone offer some advise? 1.5 yr old won't housebreak - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Can anyone offer some advise? 1.5 yr old won't housebreak

I have 2 dogs, one is just fine...

The other, sleeps in a bedroom, and poops and pee's in their at night.... during the day when he is out, he is just fine, never an accident. He is 1.5 years old...

everytime I put his nose by it, and say NO, then put him outside..

I've tried the kennel, and he just pees in there everytime too....

How long from the time he eats, does he have to go outside roughtly ? 6-8 hours ?

Apollo: born 12-18-08 GSD

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 08-16-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySchultz View Post
everytime I put his nose by it, and say NO, then put him outside..
Don't do this. He has no idea what you are trying to communicate with him. You should only correct him if you catch him doing it. You have a few second window to correct a dog or they don't know what you are talking about!

He should have to go about 20-30min after eating, not 6-8 hours. You are going to have to go back to potty training 101. The dog is crated (enough room to stand up and turn around and lay back down) when he can't be supervised. When he is supervised, he is taken out every 30min or so and a party is thrown everytime he does his business outside. Lots of excitement, good boys and treats! Limit water about an hour before bedtime and make sure he goes before bed.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

your saying if he eats dog food, 30 minutes later he has to poop it out ? I find that impossible.

Apollo: born 12-18-08 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

I take my girl out EVERYTIME she wakes up, and also anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour after eating. If she doesn't go then, I will leave it for a bit longer and take her back out. And yes I know personally of 1 dog who as soon as he eats, literally goes outside and poops.

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

It is not the food he just ate that he defecates, but rather an older meal. When a dog eats it triggers the gastrocolic reflex. The stomach is stretched by a meal and it causes the intestines to begin moving. Due to this, usually a dog will have the urge to go not long after eating.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:17 PM

Like Samba said, he will have to relieve his early meal so yes, he will need to go 15-30 minutes later but it is not the meal he just ate.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Crowned Member

Putting his nose in it and correcting him after the fact really won't work- if you catch him in the act and correct him then he'll know it's not ok. Make sure he has enough time and a little exercise when you put him out so he has enough time to go.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 PM

This must be alpha, the dog your having trouble bonding with?

Well first off, don't isolate him from the rest of the pack at nite. Could be stress because you've isolated him AND from other posts of yours I've read, basically done nothing with him since you got him and now are trying to bond with him.

You need to start OVER with housebreaking, he doesn't "know" it's wrong, no yelling, no rubbing noses in it, do NOTHING but pick it up and blame yourself for because he hasn't been shown it's not acceptable.

Thoroughly clean the bedroom he's been shut in, (a dog will continously go back to the same spot if it is not cleaned thoroughly)

Mine are on pretty much a schedule, and I know Alpha isn't still a young young puppy, outside first thing in the morning, eat breakfast, back out,, they may have to pee a couple times during the day, eat dinner at 4-5pm, back out, and again out before bedtime, 9-10 o clock.

Get him on a schedule, at this point, no I don't think he'll have to poop right after eating, he's an older puppy now, he can most likely hold itand/or doesn't have to go, for a few hours after eating..

Go outside with him ! Encourage him to 'go potty',,reward, praise for GOOD potties outside,,if you want to build some type of relationship with this dog, he needs to associate only GOOD things coming from you, not negative or 'bad things'.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

I am currently potty training a 5 year old mini doxie. She has been bounced from home to home due to different issues, one including her inability to potty train. As of today, she hasn't had an accident in the house for 2 months.

I crate her during the day, and she sleeps in bed with me at night. All the other times I watch her like a hawk and have a great big party with her outside when she goes. She now goes to the door when she wants to go outside. I have a party for her when she asks to go out. I make sure she goes out 30 minutes after she eats, and when it's time to go to bed, I'll say "Everyone outside to potty, it's bed time!" And both excited about going outside to potty. In the mornings, even on the weekends, I take her out before 6 a.m. She is on a schedule and she knows it.

She is NEVER left running in the house when I am outside or gone. She is either outside or crated. She does not know how to set herself up to succeed. It is my job to make sure she does. If I left her alone in the house, it would be very easy for her to become upset and fail. I won't let her. She is a happy girl, and some of her other behavior issues have totally disappeared now that she has more confidence.

It really can be done - you just have to accept responsibility and make sure you do your part. Even if you need to re-home your GSD, having it potty trained will make it eaiser to find a good home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page