do dogs get the blues? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

do dogs get the blues?

Feel free to laugh all you like, but I'm going to have a lot of questions in the upcoming months about dog behavior, training, my own behavior, etc...; I'll gladly take a little mockery if there are a few nuggets of good, sincere advice thrown in, too!

Here's my question of the day: do dogs have "blue" days? Some of you responded to a question I had yesterday (thanks for that!) about an "altercation" between my boy and his toy (I think he thinks the toy won--but we're going to address that issue), but even before and after he had that little scare with the toy, he just seemed not himself.

Usually he's happy-go-lucky and essentially fearless. Yesterday, though, he looked like he had something on his mind. I teach high school-aged kids all day and know exactly what they look like when they've got something troubling them, and that's exactly what my boy looked like!

I tried being extra silly and fun (I have the sore throat today to prove it!), but he just seemed "meh" about things (compared to his usual behavior).

Do any of you ever see that in your own dogs, or does this seem odd?

As always, thank you for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Elite Member

Re: do dogs get the blues?

Yes, I believe they carry on some anxiety from what happened from the day before, I know with all this snow and not being able to burn off sufficient energy that especially Sonny seems more "blue" if you want to call it that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

I think they have blue days.An example is last Sept when we had to go away for the weekend.A friends stayed with them and they love the friend but they sulked all weekend.He said they laid on the back of the couch just looking out the window all weekend.When we got home they were out of control with excitement and wouldn't let us be for a minute.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Aloha, dogs have a whole range of emotions, like we do. The story I read a while back is with dogs involved in rescue after earthquakes, etc. The are trained to find humans and when they start finding only dead humans they become very sad and want to stop searching. The handler has to stage a "live human find" to lift the dogs spirits to have the dog continue searching. Likewise drug searching dogs have to find real drugs from time to time (staged by handler), or they become depressed that they are not successful.

frank
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks so much for sharing your information. When your dogs do seem to be in a little funk, do you persist in getting them out of it? (My concern is that if I just leave him alone when he's having an off day that it'll become his habit--maybe I'm just watching too much Cesar and am concerned that any deviation from happy and balanced can turn into something big if I ignore it).

Frank, I think I saw the program you mentioned. I remember it because I'd never before thought about how dogs could be so sensitive as to need the handler to stage a rescue! Thanks for reminding me of that.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Aloha, when in funk, I just carry on and do the ball throw, walking and other exercises. Dogs tend to live from now-forward and not in the past, but a down day is a down day for them overall. I watch that I do not get into a position of being manipulated by them or cater to them.
Frank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks, Frank. That sounds like a reasonable solution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page