My kind of Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

My kind of Dog

<span style="color: #33CC00">Ok, I got this in my e-mail box today from a friend that obviously needs to learn some more about dogs and so does the original author. I didn't even need to read snopes to know this one was full of baloney. It did how ever give me a laugh so I thought I would share.</span>

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>My Kind of Dog!</span>

The K9 above is Brutus, a military K9 at McChord. He's huge - part Boxer and part British Bull Mastiff and tops the scales at 200 lbs. His handler took the picture. Brutus is running toward me because he knows I have some Milk Bone treats, so he's slobbering away! I had to duck around a tree just before he got to me in case he couldn't stop, but he did. Brutus won the Congressional Medal of Honor last year from his tour in Iraq . His handler and four other soldiers were taken hostage by insurgents. Brutus and his handler communicate by sign language and he gave Brutus the signal that meant 'go away but come back and find me'. The Iraqis paid no attention to Brutus. He came back later and quietly tore the throat out of one guard at one door and another guard at another door. He then jumped against one of the doors repeatedly (the guys were being held in an old warehouse) until it opened. He went in and untied his handler and they all escaped. He's the first K9 to receive this honor. If he knows you're ok, he's a big old lug and wants to sit in your lap. Enjoys the company of cats.

Stacy
---------------------

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 03:23 AM
Master Member

Re: My kind of Dog

you're right about it being baloney; but, this dog is gorgeous; looks like a mal to me and they're incredible in terms of drive
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Last years' CM of H recipients (2007) were Lt. Michael P. Murphy, Maj. Bruce Crandall and Marine Corporal Jason Dunham. Funny no mention of Ole Brutus. I'm actually a bit offended that this kind of story gets around, it cheapens the profound meaning of the award.

Please support:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:35 AM
DnP
Elite Member

It's a total hoax:

From Snopes is this bit from a representative of the Arizona Law Enforcement Canine Association:

"The dog's name is not Brutus; in fact, his name is "Spike", and he was never a military working dog. Spike is a retired Police Service Dog who served honorably during the years 2001 to 2007 with the Scottsdale Police Department's K-9 Unit in Scottsdale, Arizona under his handler, Officer Scott DiIullo (who is still with the K-9 Unit and working with a new K-9 partner). Spike is a Belgian Malinois imported from Europe and weighs less than 100 pounds. Furthermore, police and military working dogs are NOT trained to fatally attack a subject they are deployed upon. Dogs used for handler protection are trained to bite and hold the subject until the subject is taken into custody. Ther is also no training method to teach a working dog to understand a hand signal to command the dog to leave the area, come back later and then attack."

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Elite Member

Well if Brutus had really done all that, he really would deserve that medal, dog or not. Why does it cheapen the profound meaning of the medal? Because of the idea of giving it to a dog? A medal should be given for the amount of courage and not the number of legs. Dogs die for us in so many ways, not only on the battlefield but in the name of science by the millions.

Mind you my great-great grandfather was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for the Battle of Vicksburg and shook Abe Lincoln's hand when he received it. But I'm sure he wouldn't have begrudged Ol' Shep if he had matched his valor, except Ol' Shep (actually his dog's name was Ol' Puppy) stayed home on the porch.

I don't think a hoax about awarding that medal should be circulating if that's what you meant, but I don't see where a dog maybe one day might perform some highly valorous act that might deserve it. Probably some already have deserved it...as I think of the many left behind in other wars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page