Our own personality type and our choice of breed - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Our own personality type and our choice of breed

I belong to another forum for a different breed. It's interesting to see the difference between the two. I love both of them. I would have to say that there are a lot more Type B personalities with the other breed. And that breed would probably be a type B personality of they had them for dogs. The people are more laid back and I don't ever remember there being any real debates about anything.

I took a personality test, https://www.buzzfeed.com/perpetua/ar...5VP#.vh40EnB02 just for fun, not my first, I've a degree in psychology so it's always been of interest to me. I came out as higher in A type personality, with some B traits, which I expected.

I've been wondering if working dogs tend to be owned more by Type A personalities than Type B. Do Type B personalities have more difficulty with working breeds if they've not been raised with them (which would skewer their behavior with the dogs if they'd been taught how to handle them). Are the most successful people who work with their working dogs Type A? Or do as many Type B have working dogs and are successful with them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 PM
Knighted Member

Interesting test. This was my result:

"Type A. You have a tendency to be a workaholic, and focus a lot on attaining status. You care a lot about managing your time, and don’t have much patience for people who aren’t as organized as you."

Yeah, relatively accurate. I wouldn't say I care much about status, but I do care about the personal satisfaction that comes from achievement, and I'm a total workaholic. I don't have much patience for humans, period. Don't mess with my time, and that includes annoying me or making demands of me (different from a request!) during my off hours, because said off hours are so precious and few. My base personality (I know technically that's temperament but I just can't say that with a straight face anymore) is to be introverted, stubborn, impatient, and perfectionist, but my level of patience has just plummeted as I've gotten older. It's pretty much come down to, "I'm too old for this stuff." The only exception has been with pets; I have found that I have seemingly endless patience and willingness to try with animals.

I don't really know if this forum would consider me a good measuring stick for a type A person being successful with a working dog, though. I'd call our level of training casual compared with some of the great work that people I know offline and people on this forum are doing with their GSDs.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Knighted Member

Type B, and for German Shepherds mine are pretty laid back. Unless they see a ball, leash or I start to pack up the camper for a trip...

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

That could be why we are so intense here.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

Lol! I noticed quite a few similarities with myself and my gsd!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Master Member

I got type A, no surprise. Both my GSD's fit the personality too, both are/were very intense in different ways. Most of it sounds right except I could care less about status. Personal achievement is very important, can't stand unorganized people in most situations. Not sure about A's or B's being more successful training working dogs, I guess it depends on what type of training. IPO/Schutzhund I'd say type A would be better, most of the trainers/breeders I know that make a living off dog training are no doubt type A but there are a few type B's that are also good handlers too.

Shasta "Pasta" von Rottenmouth 2/1/2000
Naughty "Copper" von Wolfstraum 11/12/15 BH
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:50 PM

That was a fun quizI got type A which surprised me.I think of myself as more of a B with A tendencies.I'm only high energy in short spurts.My dogs are medium energy.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

My test came back with a "B" personality would think it's pretty accurate. I do have some A traits.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

I'm curious if being an owner of a certain breed of dog changes your personality type.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

I came up as type B but I knew I would. Then I did the test for my boy. He came up as more type A. ??????? Must be the B in me that is keeping the A in him quiet.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page