LASIK Experiences? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Red face LASIK Experiences?

Hello all!

So I did look this up and saw two prior threads about LASIK, which I read through, but I was thinking since there are surely new members since then about getting some new stories and updates?

I recently got LASIK. A huge part of that decision had to do with major life changes I want to make. I've always wanted to learn to surf and be more active, especially getting a GSD soon, I've dreamed of hiking a doing backpacking and all sorts of excursions that are harder with glasses/contacts. I stopped boozy boarding years ago because I literally couldn't see people and would slam into them. The waves would slap off goggles, so I simply avoided the beach. Hence, LASIK!

It's been an emotional roller coaster to say the least! By and large it's been good. I test at 20/20 and 20/15 in my eyes, so theoretically perfect vision. My left eye is a dream. My right eye bothers me some, it's not crystal sharp despite testing 20/20 (maybe due to a slight left ove astigmatism and haloing? The astigmatism in it was quite bad before). It also feels like an eyelash is in it some of the time. I'm just over 2 months post op. Mostly it's just been stressful reading people's horrible experiences on the Internet! Jeez, a girl goes to look up a quick answer and finds nothing but horror stories! Scared the crap out if me! Honestly had I read them before the procedure I probably wouldn't have done it! I am a borderline hypochondriac and totally obsess over small health things, so eye surgery has been quite the trial!

Aaaaannnyyywaaaay. Any members here who have had it done? What was your experience? I'm especially interested in people who had it done years ago and have remained problem free and happy with thier vision.

I know the forum posts I read on health sites are really screwed, because usually only people who had an issue post online and seek advice, not the people who had everything go right. And honestly my vision is great overall! But I'm a worry wart.

So yeah, I'd love to hear your stories! Hopefully there are members here who had a great experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Master Member

I am close to 10 years out. I am happy with it. I went to the eye dr recently because my vision did not seem as sharp at a distance and was told I still have 20/20 but the sharpness is just not there and that it likely had something to do with my overt near-sightedness (I think) and that it would actually help me in the long run to stay this way because I probably won't need reading glasses when I'm older. I don't know much about eyesight because I don't deal in that in my medical field. I did have the procedure repeated on both eyes within maybe 6-12 months of the first time? My vision just suddenly declined but has been fine since the second procedure.

I could not do anything without contacts or glasses.....it was horrible and I was miserable since glasses gave me headaches and were always in the way......contacts that weren't made to be slept in....I hated waking up and not even being able to see a clock that wasn't a few inches from my face.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

persinette, i can still read 20/20 for distance. basically illiterate without my readers though, have had many friends that have had lasik and not heard about a halo as you describe. is that constant or only when looking at alight or brighy objects? a halo is the first complaint of people with a detached retina. of course lasik would cause a detached retina.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! Halos are actually a common complaint after LASIK from what I've read. It's only when I look at things with sharp contrast (like white lettering on black) or bright lights. It's not that bad and I can't really tell if it's a true halo, or reminants of my astigmatism, which was fairly severe. Apparently 25%mof people with an astigmatism need an enhancement after LASIK in that eye. I am going in in a few days for one of my post-op appointments and I will difintely be bombarding them with questions and having them check out the right eye some more. I'll ask about the detached retina thing. I wasn't flagged as a risk for that. I know if that is something that starts happening it can be fixed with additional surgery. I had a college professor who had it done.

I too could not see the bright alarm clock beside my bed without major squinting. I was one of those folks that couldn't see the big E during a vision exam. It was quite debilitating.

What is odd is at some distances with my right eye is almost perfect, but in-between distances--like not close up but not far away- are sort of burry. I'll be outside and can see almost everything perfectly. Then once I go indoors there is this odd mid-range blur.

Again, I am a worrier! The doctor I went to is once of the best in the field. I didn't do a 'discount' procedure. His office has done over 70,000 eye surgeries. He performed two on my dad, one for vision correction years ago then this last year for cataracts. I keep telling myself these things so all the scary stuff on the internet stops scaring me! Lol. It's like my mantra to keep from hyperventilating every time I read something scary about LASIK. Is should just stay off the internet about medical stuff...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Also, side question, do you guys rub your eyes normally now or are you still super delicate with them all this time later? I know they say after a month your good to go (and its been two for me) but I'm so worried about messing things up I've been babying my eyes big time, but I miss rubbing them clean in the shower! I haven't worn eye makeup yet for that reason. I was worried about scrubbing it off or getting remover solution in my eyes.

I'll ask the doctor when I see him this week, just curious if you guys have been enjoying treating your eyes like normal these past years or always treat them gentler than you did prior to surgery.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Master Member

Treat them normally. I don't remember how soon after but I do know that I wore eye makeup pretty soon after (way less than 2 or even 1 month) because I am VERY blonde and I have blonde eyelashes so my eyes look a little strange without eye makeup. I use waterproof mascara only so have to use makeup remover, however on a normal basis I don't "scrub" anyway, I just let it sit on cotton square on my eyelid until the makeup dissolves.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Master Member

I had lasik done ten years ago, and it was the best thing I have done for myself. I was horribly near sighted, and it is fabulous not having to wear glasses. My eyes are still sharp, but I do notice a slight decrease, slightly not as sharp as a few years ago. That could also be my age, I am 43. I should have my eyes checked again.

I am very happy with lasik.
Also, your eyes should steadily improve over the next month or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Asja von der kleinen Farm "Asja"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jambo vom Barbatus "Boris"

Ares
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
persinette, i can still read 20/20 for distance. basically illiterate without my readers though, have had many friends that have had lasik and not heard about a halo as you describe. is that constant or only when looking at alight or brighy objects? a halo is the first complaint of people with a detached retina. of course lasik would cause a detached retina.
should have read...lasik will not cause detached retina,,,,, sorry.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Elite Member

According to my Lasik doctor, haloing is to be expected. They told me eventually your brain edits it out. I had mine done 5 years ago and found that for the first year, the haloing really bothered me but now it's only those super bright headlights that get to me.

He also told me to expect that mid range vision will never be sharp. I chose the multifocal lenses which gives one the impression you'd have perfect vision at every distance but that's simply not true. Not fuzzy but not clear from about 3 feet to about 7-8 feet out.

That's my experience anyway.

Lynn & Traveler
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Crowned Member

i didnt know about the halo effect. glad it worked for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page