Funny crate problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Funny crate problem

About 1.5 years ago I did all I could to get my GSD to love the crate. We played all kinds of crate games to make going to the crate a blast. With the crate I was able to easily teach my dog how to behave around the house and after awhile we decided to remove the crate since it was taking up too much space and was no longer needed. Besides, she couldn't do her job if she was stuck in the crate.

I finally convinced my gf that her dog is going to need a crate because I hate coming home to something destroyed, even if it is occasional. The crate this dog needed was smaller and therefore took up less floor space so we brought the crate set it up and it was time to train. The fun started instantly... with the wrong dog.

My huge gsd nearly knocks me out of the way to squeeze her body into this small crate and actually manages it. I had to coax her out of the crate. I finally had to take her out the room because every time the crate door was open my GSD ran for it. This is a dog who hated the crate at the start of our training and now, I don't know what happened.

I might look into getting another crate later on. Seems like a waste since it isn't being used for training or house protection. Apparently my GSD doesn't think getting her crate back would be a waste.

Last edited by GSD246; 03-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Crowned Member

Both my dogs have their own crates set up, even though Jazzy is now over two and doesn't need it. They're both crated at the same time unless one is going out somewhere. They both love their crates, it's a nice safe haven with comfy beds and treats

It sounds like the GSD would like having a crate back, you don't need to actually crate her but having her own space might be beneficial

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

The crate for our GSD feels huge, but she loves it so it's here to stay I guess

~ Dori ~

Kenai - 10 yr old Samoyed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Koda - 8 yr old Samoyed

Max - 4 yr old rescue Persian
Nita - 01/26/2012 GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Elite Member

Finn took to the crate very quickly. Now we can't even think about taking it down. He loves it. It's his personal space that he can go into and not be bothered. We actually got the biggest kennel we could, the X-Large, just so he could have more room to do what he wants.

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Master Member

Gunther loves his crate. Especially when it's too hot to lounge on the couch during the day. I agree that a dog needs a quiet place (and or safe haven) for themselves which is what his crate provides. When I put together his crate he just walked right in. I had treats and a clicker and I was prepared to have to clicker train this six month old puppy to love his crate. Apparently I was over prepared, training wasn't necessary other than for sleeping at night haha. I only crate him in a closed crate if I'm not home but you could always just leave it open when you're gone since you already have her free in the house. It'd be a nice option for her to nap in for when you're gone and she'd still be able to do her job.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:49 AM

Fleury hated his crate, actually broke a puppy tooth at one point, but eventually trained to it too. We use it when we leave (7mo and still loves trying to eat just about everything) but he has the option to sleep in it or on his bed and he'll switch several times at night. But if he wants to nap and be 'put to bed' and we don't put him in his crate, he'll go in and come back out and nose us, then go back in so we throw a blanket on it so he can get some peace. Cracks me up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page