I was a band member for seven years, four of those years (high school) I marched. It contains a lot of fond memories, and I was wondering how many of you have marched, played in band, or are currently doing so? If so, what instrument did/do you play?
I am a proud Alto Saxophone player - still take it out every few months and play. I used to be first chair...now I sound like a semi truck. Either way, I still love to play
I found these a long time ago on the internet...and while I was cleaning this morning, found them again in some old papers. Figured I would share them with all of you
1. When you don't mind changing on the bus.
2. When being mauled by a drum is a normal part of life.
3. When your instrument has a name.
4. When your friends know your instrument's name.
5. When you non-band friends know your instrument's name.
6. When you name your plume.
7. When you think that the sole purpose to wearing a watch is to find the tempo of a song.
8. When your front teeth are chipped by your instrument.
9. When you have a neck strap tan line or a flutist friend tan line.
10. When you still have show music from three years ago memorized.
11. When you listen to the radio and think "That would make an awesome song for next year's field show."
12. When you can play "Hey Baby" on a whistle pop.
13. When all of your friends are in band.
14. When you call your band director by his/her first name or by a nickname that you gave them.
15. When you refer to a seven-hour day of band camp as a light workout.
16. When you have a preference between Drillmasters and Dinkles.
17. When you know what Drillmasters and Dinkles are.
18. When you obsessively polish your instrument and growl at people who try to touch it.
19. When you thank people who call you a band geek/nerd.
20. When your section has a theme song.
21. When your section calls themselves by an unusual nickname.
22. When you roll-step through the cafeteria to avoid spilling your food.
23. When you talk about things around "normal" people, get funny looks, and say "It's a band thing."
24. When the 4's in math class on the board remind you of guard flags.
25. One of your favorite past times is getting the band together and singing through the show.
26. You download songs you've played.
27. You know at least 20 ways to fall asleep on the bus.
28. You take your instrument everywhere, "just in case."
29. You take better care of your instrument than you do your car.
30. You can name every show you've ever marched but you can't remember the history lesson that you had the day before.
31. You know the pitch of your school bell.
32. You dream about your spot on the field during the show.
33. Your definition of skipping class is hanging out in the band room.
34. You know all of the cheer leading routines.
35. You've made up nasty words to the cheer leading routines.
36. Cork grease takes place of your chap stick.
37. Reeds start to taste good.
38. You automatically get in step with all music you hear while walking.
39. You always get in step with the person walking next to you.
40. You notice what time signature songs on the radio are in, when they play triplets or other rhythms, or when they change dynamics.
41. When you start healing fast from injuries caused by practicing guard members.
42. When "armed guard" means a woman with a flag instead of a guy with a gun.
43. When you miss riding the buses.
44. When you finally realize that the school buses are actually more comfortable than the charter buses.
45. When you can get comfortable in your uniform.
46. When you can put on your uniform in two minutes or less.
47. When you can put on your uniform in two minutes or less...on a bus.
48. In academic classes, you draw comic strips of funny things that have happened in your band.
49. When you dance more at a football game than at a club.
50. When your section has developed a section dance during cadences.
51. When you're alone and you suffocate because there is nobody yelling at you to breathe.
52. When you eat lunch in the band room.
53. When you discover new ways to store your money until third quarter break because it always seems to fall out of the pocket in the uniform.
54. When you're under the impression that people only come to football games to see the half-time show.
55. You have a name for the reason that saxophone players act so weird, and you claim it spreads...
56. You can only remember people by what instrument they play.
57. When you know everyone else's personal business.
58. When you CAN sightread.
59. When numbers past eight have no importance.
60. When you know everyone in your section's uniform number.
61. When your free time is spent on homework.
62. When you can strip out of your uniform in five seconds in order to get a stall in the bathroom before the crowds.
63. When you know how to play ten popular stand tunes, yet don't know the words to any of them.
64. When you have at least five different ways to fashionably put your hair up under your hat.
65. When you spend your free time cleaning up the band room.
66. You can successfully march through mud WITHOUT slipping.
67. When the highlight of your day is finding out that this year in the parade you are in FRONT of the horses.
68. When all of your community service hours are from band.
69. When you know Louie, Louie, and hold a personal grudge against him.
70. When you worship Danny Elfman and John Williams.
71. When you can actually tune your piccolo.
72. When you have perfect pitch.