Quality dry food for weight loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By tc68
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quality dry food for weight loss

I have an 5 year old GSD who my vet says needs to lose 5 lbs and my trainer says 10 lbs. I have been feeding him the manufactures recommended portion of Taste of the Wild dry kibble in the morning and evening. The last week I have cut back a half a cup in the evening and now he is moping around and eating his poop.

I'm looking for a weight loss dry kibble. Can anyone tell me what to look for in dry food ingredients and nutritional information? What should I avoid? FYI: He has a grain allergy. Any recommendations for a replacement dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

Will your dog eat green beans and carrots? They can be used as snacks or as a bit of filler to help a dog feel satiated. 2 of mine love them, the other 2 look at a me like I’m crazy and trying to poison them.

I believe you can only cut back diet so far without sacrificing uptake of vitamins, minerals and such so keep it mind. Others with more knowledge in diet may come along and have more information on the this. Any way to “up” exercise levels?
tc68 and saintbob like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Master Member

My first thought was...is your dog getting enough exercise? Generally speaking, calories in > calories out, then dog will get "fatter." It's just like any person...if you eat tons of food a day while sitting on your behind all day, you're gonna gain weight.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Have you looked for a food with lower calories and maybe not so many carbs? Grain free actually has a lot of carbs in it. Which grains is he allergic too?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM

We switched to Royal Canin several years ago because Lucky had intestinal 'problems' and I was tired of him feeling bad, cleaning the floor, and vet bills (when the dog has diarrhea the health dept wants tests in case it's something that can be transferred to humans and it was a fast $180. every time). Anyhow, it cured Lucky's tummy troubles. We stuck with it and the two we have now have beautiful coats and are healthy. They make all kinds of dog food varieties including a couple diet ones. 5 lbs isn't a lot and it should be easy to just cut back a bit on the food and treats temporarily.

Years ago we had a pit and his vet kept pushing diet stuff. He was NOT overweight in our opinion. At one point he gave us a video. When we saw him again he asked about the video and we told him the dog didn't show any interest in watching it. He didn't try to get us to buy diet dog food after that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

Trainer? Do you use treats to train? If so, what are you using and how much?

Which TOTW formula are you using? Calories per cup?

How much activity does he get? Increased exercise may be the answer over decreased food.
huntergreen likes this.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 PM

I would NOT look for a low calorie kibble. Simply feed less than the recommended amount of TOTW. And you can fill them up with things like canned green beans. I never follow the recommended amounts on the bag. They are generally much more than needed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 PM
Elite Member

How many cups are you feeding him? I'm wondering how accurately you are measuring his food. I use a kitchen measuring cup to be accurate. You could reduce his food by 1/4 cup, and add a measured 1/4 cup of boiling water to his kibble to bulk it up without adding more calories. It takes less than a minute for it to be at a safe and comfortable temperature for feeding. Up his exercise as well.

I'm feeding 4 cups of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canin Veterinary Sensitivity Control Dry Dog Food. My dog gets fed once a day. He gets training treats and a few shared bites of my food, and a 'roo tendon before bed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page