RECALL: Hills Prescription & Science Diet - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

RECALL: Hills Prescription & Science Diet

https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm630232.htm

Hillís Pet Nutrition is voluntarily recalling select canned dog food products due to potentially elevated levels of vitamin D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

Vet prescribed

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:36 AM

My vet tried to talk me into putting my guy/gals on Science Diet when I took in Cairo.
He said that's all he has every fed his dogs. I do like him as a vet but I'll stick to the TOTW Pacific Stream for now. The dogs go crazy for it- had to stop free feeding as they were gaining too much weight. Plus now with Cairo the new 11MF GSD who has food issues with dogs it's a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Vet prescribed
Something I'm learning as time goes on is the importance of what caused the recall - in this case, it was one reported case of a dog with elevated Vitamin D levels. Once this was submitted to SH, they did an immediate voluntary recall (most recalls are voluntary). Not saying I recommend or stand by or for this food. Just interesting to think about.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femfa View Post
Something I'm learning as time goes on is the importance of what caused the recall - in this case, it was one reported case of a dog with elevated Vitamin D levels. Once this was submitted to SH, they did an immediate voluntary recall (most recalls are voluntary). Not saying I recommend or stand by or for this food. Just interesting to think about.
Another thing to think about.......

I saw this from Truth About Pet Food:

"TruthaboutPetFood.com spoke with a devastated pet owner today (2/1/19) who fed the Hill’s Vitamin D toxic dog food – her dog became ill on January 15 and sadly died on January 20, 2019."

"Because the FDA has not informed pet owners, we don’t know if this concerning problem was/is a vitamin premix formulation error or if this is a pet food manufacturing error. If it is the premix, the concern is how many other pet food manufacturers received that same ‘formulation error’ premix?

Is Hill’s the only one or are there many more?

Are pet owners – right now – unknowingly giving their pet a toxic dose of vitamin D?"

"after the Hill’s recall – we know that at least two separate manufacturing facilities are experiencing “a formulation error” with Vitamin D.
At least one kibble manufacturing facility and at least one canned pet food manufacturing facility."
( Natural Life Pet Products Nutrisca https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm630232.htm )

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/why-so...min-d-recalls/
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Master Member

Oh my. Thatís awful!

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Just goes to show that even the Vet prescribed stuff is basically crap IMO.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM

I think there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to food. Yes, Hills did have a recall for excess Vit D. That was a voluntary recall due to their testing process catching the high levels. I dont feed Hills and probably never will but just because a company has never had a recall, doesn't mean its a good food. A lot of companies dont have reliable testing or procedures to even catch inconsistencies or dangers in their foods, and if they did, would they all issue a voluntary recall or would they wait for the FDA to force their hand? The beloved Fromm had a recall for excess Vit D as well before, yet I see people touting that as one of the best foods out there. @das1 Taste of the wild is manufactured by Diamond, who has had multiple recalls if you're not aware.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
I think there is a lot of ignorance when it comes to food. Yes, Hills did have a recall for excess Vit D. That was a voluntary recall due to their testing process catching the high levels. I dont feed Hills and probably never will but just because a company has never had a recall, doesn't mean its a good food. A lot of companies dont have reliable testing or procedures to even catch inconsistencies or dangers in their foods, and if they did, would they all issue a voluntary recall or would they wait for the FDA to force their hand? The beloved Fromm had a recall for excess Vit D as well before, yet I see people touting that as one of the best foods out there. @das1 Taste of the wild is manufactured by Diamond, who has had multiple recalls if you're not aware.
Yes, I am aware.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Crowned Member

The canned I/D food is apparently the one that is alleged to have killed some dogs, though the recall is bigger. This story has some details on the dogs that died:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...-its-too-late/

If the news report is correct, this is not a minor boo-boo. Some of the other Vit D recalls happened before dogs were ill -- this one seems to be much more severe. According to the reporter, it wasn't routine testing that caught it (as happened with some other companies), but rather consumer reports of tragedy caused the company to test.
crittersitter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page