RECALL: Hills Prescription & Science Diet - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:02 PM

And they charge SO much for these prescription foods! There shouldn't be ANY errors that aren't caught. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Update:
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-up...min-d-recalls/

And Then, there's.....THIS!....... SHAMEFUL!

Per Mollie:

"BENEATH THE VENEER
Dig just below the veneer of Hillís calculated calm, and you hear the stories, read the reports about dogs that are sick and dying after being fed the recalled food. Pet parents are grief-stricken. Veterinarians feel angry and betrayed. Dig further, and youíll find a document written by Hillís, quietly sent to veterinarians on the diagnosis and treatment of vitamin D toxicosis. In an attempt to repair that damage, privately Hillís has made an offer to reimburse veterinarians for the cost of testing a patient for conditions related to vitamin D hypervitaminosis.

THE $10 COUPON
One of those grief-stricken pet parents contacted me and told me that Hillís offered her $10 in coupons after her dog died from eating the recalled dog food. ďThatís more than most people were offered,Ē she said. Most were offered only $5 in coupons whether their dog was dead or alive.

I didnít believe it.

That was until I was offered $10 in coupons by Hillís for my ailing dog Sadie, ďmaybe $20,Ē she said politely.

Sadie isnít a real dog, just one I made up."

How a Vitamin and a Mistake Led to the Downfall of Hill's | Poisoned Pets | Pet Food Safety News

Oh and the vets who sold it???? They can get up to $500!!!!
ďTo support veterinarians in their relationship with their clients and their pets and as an expression of our empathy for pet parents, Hillís will evaluate on a case by case basis, requests for reimbursement of veterinary fees including specific diagnostic tests and treatment for dogs who have eaten the voluntary recalled diets and the veterinarian recommends diagnostic tests and treatment for vitamin D Hypervitaminosis.Ē
ďYour clinic will receive a reimbursement per the details provided in the ĎPatient reimbursement request formí (up to a maximum of $500 per patient) as soon as possible after receipt of the forms if you are a Hillís customer.Ē

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/as-an-...-veterinarian/

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 02-19-2019 at 04:58 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Hill’s Pet Nutrition is facing a slew of consumer lawsuits linked to their January 2019 excess Vitamin D recalls.

Filed on February 26, 2019 in the Central District of California, pet owners versus Hill’s Pet Nutrition; a class action lawsuit. The lawsuit states they bring this suit against Hill’s for (bold added):

their negligent, reckless, and/or intentional practice of misrepresenting, failing to test for, and failing to fully disclose the presence of toxic levels of Vitamin D in their Contaminated Dog Foods (defined below) and for selling Contaminated Dog Foods that are adulterated and do not conform to the labels, packaging, advertising, and statements throughout the United States.”

This lawsuit quotes several claims from the Hill’s website including these two (that the recall proved are not accurate claims):

(g) “We conduct final safety checks daily on every Hill’s pet food
product to help ensure the safety of your pet’s food.”

(h) “Additionally, all finished products are physically inspected and tested for key nutrients prior to release to help ensure your pet gets a consistent product bag to bag.”

Article:
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/seven-...pet-nutrition/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

ADDITIONAL HILL'S PRODUCTS RECALLED

In an email to veterinarians sent today 3/20/19, Hillís Pet Food expands their recall for excess Vitamin D.

Provided to TruthaboutPetFood.com by a veterinarian friend is the following notice from Hillís Pet Food:
Following the recall, we conducted a detailed review of our canned dog foods. As we had expected, that review confirmed that the issue is isolated to the same vitamin premix used in canned dog foods and limited to specific production lots. However, our review did determine that there were additional products affected by that vitamin premix, and it is for that reason that we are expanding the recall. No dry foods, cat foods or treats are affected.

Included in this email you will find two appendices. Appendix A lists the affected canned dog food products, their SKUs, lot numbers and date codes that are being voluntarily recalled. Appendix B provides guidance for how we will retrieve and credit customers for the affected product. For reimbursement information, please visit HillsVet.com/RecallResources.
We understand that this recall has caused pet parents considerable concern and that the well-being of their pets may have been affected. We are also aware of the disruption and difficulty that this has caused you and your staff. We have addressed the issues that caused this recall, and we are working to make this right:

Article & list of the 19 products located here:
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/hills-...xpands-recall/
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM

It's really disgraceful. SMH.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Elite Member

Has the manufacturer of the vitamin premix been named? Just wondering if it was only supplied to Hills.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Has the manufacturer of the vitamin premix been named? Just wondering if it was only supplied to Hills.
Sunshine Mills Inc

RIP Kilo 2010-2018
Lola (rescue GSD)
Bjorn vom Ulfheim
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:22 AM
Elite Member

I did some digging, their own products were having the same issue, makes me wonder why Hills wasn't alerted by them and why Hills didn't recall sooner. Maybe they did but I didn't dig enough. Sunshines quality statement if true should have caught the error imho. Kind of late and I don't feed kibble but this topic really bothers me.

Thanks for the info.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old Today, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Recall Expanded

March 20, 2019 — Hill’s Pet Nutrition is expanding its voluntary recall of canned dog food products due to elevated levels of vitamin D.
This recall expansion relates to the same vitamin premix that led to the January 31 voluntary recall previously announced on The Dog Food Advisor website.
Update: Additional expansion announced by the FDA May 20, 2019.
Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including kidney dysfunction.

Items marked with * are new product SKUs that were added to the list on March 20, 2019. The item marked with ** is one additional lot code of recalled product updated on May 15, 2019.

See list here: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-f...ecall-expands/
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:52 AM
Crowned Member

For anyone who's curious about the "pre-mix" issue, and even where Vitamin D comes from (not just the kind in dog food--the kind likely in your fortified, organic human food or even Whole-Foods-purchased supplements too), I highly recommend reading Pandora's Lunchbox: How Process Food Took Over the American Meal: https://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Lunc.../dp/1451666748

I just picked up a used copy recently and was amazed by the chapter about vitamins -- it introduces the reader to the Chinese factory that produces most of the world's synthetic vitamin D. It's a fascinating read! And it takes on a new dimension when juxtaposed to the Vitamin D problem that's been plaguing some dog food manufacturing.

Sadly, the food supply picture presented in this book makes it somewhat easier to grasp how things like this are happening, and are probably going to keep happening. It seems like another iteration of the Chinese melamine mess from several years ago that killed a lot of dogs -- different nutrient, different factory, but the same food-supply problem. Even if they solve testing for one ingredient, another will pop up out of this same industrial/global food-supply network in a few years that starts the cycle over again -- it's a real mess.

Last edited by Magwart; Today at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page