Evanger's RECALL FDA Update - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Evanger's RECALL FDA Update

FDA Cautions Pet Owners and Caretakers Not to Feed Certain Evanger?s or Against the Grain Canned Pet Foods Due to Adulteration with Pentobarbital

February 17, 2017

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising pet owners and caretakers not to feed their pets certain lots of Evanger’s canned Hunk of Beef or Against the Grain Grain Free Pulled Beef with Gravy canned dog food after unopened cans from both brands were found to contain pentobarbital, a barbiturate.

Pentobarbital is a drug that is used in animal euthanasia. It should not be in pet food and its presence as detected by the FDA in these products renders them adulterated.

The FDA was unable to determine from available records whether any other Evanger’s or Against the Grain products made with beef contain any of the beef that went into the recalled products. Additionally, the agency concluded an inspection of the manufacturing facilities on February 14, 2017, and noted numerous significant concerns with conditions found at both the Wheeling, IL and Markham, IL plants. These are initial observations and do not represent a final agency determination regarding the firm.

Following discussions with the FDA, Evanger’s initiated a voluntary recall on February 3, 2017, of certain lots of its 12-ounce Hunk of Beef canned dog food: 1816E03HB, 1816E04HB, 1816E06HB, 1816E07HB, and 1816E13HB, all with an expiration date of June 2020.

In the course of the investigation, the FDA tested two cans of Against the Grain brand canned Grain Free Pulled Beef with Gravy dog food manufactured in the same facilities as Evanger’s products and using beef from the same supplier: these samples also tested positive for pentobarbital.

On February 9, 2017, after conversations with the FDA, Against the Grain voluntarily recalled lot 2415E01ATB12 BEST DEC 2019 of this product. The company issued a public notice about its recall on February 13, 2017. To date, the FDA is not aware of any pet illnesses associated with the Against the Grain product.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:29 PM

thanks for the update.

so much for buying from a local company.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:55 AM

I’m so sick of seeing all these dog food recalls. They’re all over Facebook and just about everywhere else you look. And for some reason I’m supposed to give them a pass because the recall was “voluntary”. Seriously?

In business, image is everything. And if a company in the business of making/selling dog food doesn’t even care enough about their own image to insure their food is safe, then just how much concern can we expect from them when it comes to our animals?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:06 AM
Elite Member

So how is the drug getting into all these foods?

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
I’m so sick of seeing all these dog food recalls. They’re all over Facebook and just about everywhere else you look. And for some reason I’m supposed to give them a pass because the recall was “voluntary”. Seriously?

In business, image is everything. And if a company in the business of making/selling dog food doesn’t even care enough about their own image to insure their food is safe, then just how much concern can we expect from them when it comes to our animals?

I hear ya!

Researching the quality of meat and ingredients that the dog food companies use is exactly why I started preparing my own raw food for my dogs 20 years ago!

Moms
carmspack likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
So how is the drug getting into all these foods?

It's been "assumed" by many, that the beef/cows, that were used, were euthanized with phenobarbital.

Hopefully the FDA will continue the investigation to find out the exact reason.

Moms
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
It's been "assumed" by many, that the beef/cows, that were used, were euthanized with phenobarbital.

Hopefully the FDA will continue the investigation to find out the exact reason.

Moms
I can't imagine a farm/factory using vets and drugs to euthanize the animals. A bullet to the head is much cheaper.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I can't imagine a farm/factory using vets and drugs to euthanize the animals. A bullet to the head is much cheaper.

Everything is just speculation now.

Who knows????? Maybe we'll find out it was horse or zoo animals instead of cow! LOL

Per FDA letter: https://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcemen.../ucm255000.htm
"We found that you offered for sale (b)(4) Lamb and Rice Dog Food which was adulterated. Under Section 402(b)(2) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 342(b)(2), a food is deemed to be adulterated if any substance has been substituted wholly or in part therefore. Our analytical sample results of this product revealed that a substance (lamb) was not detected in the product and another ingredient (bovine material) detected in the product was substituted therefore. Furthermore, this product was misbranded. Under Section 403(b) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 343(b), a food is deemed to be misbranded if it is offered for sale under the name of another food. This product was offered for sale under the name of “(b)(4) Lamb and Rice Dog Food.” However, the analytical sample results did not detect the presence of lamb, but detected the presence of bovine material."

"On December 14, 2010, FDA collected samples of your Evanger’s Grain-free Duck Pet Food during the inspection of your facility. We found that the Evanger’s Grain-free Duck Pet Food product was adulterated. Under Section 402(b)(1) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 342(b)(1), a food is deemed to be adulterated if any valuable constituent has been in whole or in part omitted or abstracted therefrom. Our investigation revealed that a valuable constituent (duck) was not detected in the product and had been omitted or abstracted therefrom. Furthermore, this product was misbranded. Under Section 403(a)(1) of the FD&C Act, 21 U.S.C. § 343(a)(1), a food is deemed to be misbranded if its labeling is false or misleading in any particular. The labeling indicates that Evanger’s Grain-free Duck Pet Food contains duck, but the analytical sample results did not detect the presence of duck in the product."

Moms
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

I am telling you that when I worked at a vet many years ago, the rendering plant came and picked up all unclaimed euthanized pets. I opened the door for them and watched them load the truck, which was always heaping full. Don't tell me the vets were or are not aware of where these animals go. It's a cheap service and everyone makes money, yet no one cares enough about pets that eat this food to end it. It's a racket.

I work in the garbage business and a while back a man called wanting a 30 yard dumpster for dead horses. We had to look that up and they are not allowed in landfills here. I don't think my boss would have agreed to haul it regardless. So if they aren't allowed in landfills, where do they go? I guess it would be nice to know what took out that many horses too. So now there is a chance of diseased and euthanized horse meat? There are so many regulations that I'm positive people do not follow the rules of laws by the book.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 02-18-2017 at 01:15 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
where do they go?
Ever read the book by Ann Martin "Food Pets Die For" ? https://www.amazon.com/Food-Pets-Die.../dp/0939165562

This is the book that made me start feeding raw and to go natural 20 years ago!

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page