Food Recall - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Food Recall

I received the following information from one of my dog food suppliers this evening. Not sure where to post the info, so hope everyone has a chance to view the product recall information.

The information came from a Pet Food store here in Fort Worth, Tx. I have not personally verified the recall, since I do not feed my GS this product; but I am concerned that some of you may.

Natura Recall
Natura Pet Products has issued yet another voluntary recall of all its items (except cans). Those items are:

California Natural
Innova
Evo
Mother Nature Treats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Master Member

Again??? And I JUST bought tw big bags and was going to start mixing them with their food tomorrow!! I had actually started mixing a few kibbles into the food of the smallest one since yesterday. This is frustrating...

Thank you so much for the info, I had no idea.

(From their website)

Dear Natura Family,

We have some sad news to share. We are announcing today a voluntary recall of all Innova, California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Mother Nature and Karma branded dry pet food and biscuit/bar/treat products with expiration dates prior to June 10, 2014.
We made this decision in part due to a single positive Salmonella test by the FDA on product manufactured April 3. Normally, this would have resulted in retrieval of product manufactured over just a few days. However, we are taking the additional precautionary measure to recall all products in the marketplace. Our first priority is the wellbeing of the pets we serve.
Our decision allows us to ensure that all products available in the marketplace were produced after June 10, the date when we implemented additional finished product testing procedures with the guidance of industry experts.
Below this message you will find instructions on how to request a replacement voucher or refund. If you have any further questions, please contact us at http://www.naturapet.com/about/contact-us or (800) 224-6123.
We are truly sorry. We know this news disappoints you; we are disappointed too. Natura will always focus on high-quality ingredients, product safety and innovation in pet nutrition. We remain committed to making products you can trust.
Sincerely,
Employees of Natura Pet Products
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

This is extremely frustrating for me. I have no plans to switch brands since this is a precautionary recall (no dogs have actually gotten sick). I have 1 day's worth of food left and sure enough, my bag is effected so I'll get a refund, but now the pet stores have pulled all the food off the shelves and don't know when more will be available. I've got to switch brands tomorrow, cold turkey, couldn't even buy another bag even if I was willing to accept the risk (I was).

Ironically just yesterday I got a check in the mail from Natura from their class action settlement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
This is extremely frustrating for me. I have no plans to switch brands since this is a precautionary recall (no dogs have actually gotten sick). I have 1 day's worth of food left and sure enough, my bag is effected so I'll get a refund, but now the pet stores have pulled all the food off the shelves and don't know when more will be available. I've got to switch brands tomorrow, cold turkey, couldn't even buy another bag even if I was willing to accept the risk (I was).

Ironically just yesterday I got a check in the mail from Natura from their class action settlement.
Go with Orijen thats what we use and its made such a difference with almost everything on Zoey (coat, skin, teeth)

Zoey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2/14/12
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I agree the Orijen is a great product, as well as Blue Buffalo. I have used both products and my girl did well on both. However, Orijen is hard to come by in our area, with just a select few suppliers....in fact the only one close by me is some 20 miles away. Our GS likes Blue and has done exceptionally well.....great coat, no skin problems; teeth and gums are normal at 4 years. [Maggie has a visit once a year at her vet.]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
However, Orijen is hard to come by in our area, with just a select few suppliers....in fact the only one close by me is some 20 miles away.

You could try ordering off of chewy.com.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE
I'm exclusively feeding Fromm now as they are much cheaper than Orijen and all my dogs like the product better, plus they have large selections for small and large dogs as well as cats, plus Fromm has never had recall problems

INTCH, U-GRCH V Alta-Tollhaus Gavin schH3, UWP, KKL1a, OFA EXCELLENT, DM-Clear
MHDW ( Most Handsome Dog In World)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM

I havent been on the forum too much lately, so I went to the pet store today to pick up Stark some more dog food and all of the Natura brand food is off the shelves, AGAIN!
I have been using Innova Grain Free because we believe he has wheat allergies. He came home from the breeder on Taste of the Wild, he did fine but they had a couple of recalls so we switched to Blue Buffalo. He had loose stools on Blue Buffallo which never firmed up. So, for probably the past 8 to 10 months hes been on Innova and hes doing well. He gets really itchy, had runny eyes, sneezing and really nasty breath at one point and we went to the vet. He had bacterial overgrowth in his stomach. The vet guessed allergies (i didnt have the $350 to find out for sure). So we treated the bacteria and I switched him to a grain free diet. He has done great, but now he has to switch cold turkey due to this recall. Any tips/ things i can do to help prevent another issue? Also, Im considering switching all together since this is the second recall this year. What is a good grain free reasonably priced option?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 PM

what formula of orejin would you feed a two year old?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madre View Post
what formula of orejin would you feed a two year old?
Any of the adult formulas will work for a 2 year old, but be aware that Orijen gives some dogs diarrhea while others it doesn't bother at all. Just depends on the dog. You may want to start with their sister food Acana and eventually try the Orijen by adding it slowly to the Acana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page