Fredericksburg, VA WGSD male lived outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Fredericksburg, VA WGSD male lived outside

More About 4830 Garth
He is at the Spotsylvania Animal Shelter in VA. As relayed to me today by shelter staff. He grew up with a female dog, was bought from a breeder at 2, lived outside for 5 years. Has not made a peep or barked since being dumped at the pound. Grew up with teenagers, no small children. Timid, not aggressive "very protective" he is about 10-20lbs underweight. Does not care to have his nails trimmed, has not been trained.

He was thrown out in a backyard and is 7 years old. I was told the GSD groups know about him and won't touch him, why I don't know. Probably because he is 7 and no manners. He can die any day.

540-507-7459
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Fredericksburg, VA WGSD male lived outside

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Master Member

That poor boy. He didn't ask for this sad life.

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Elite Member

"I was told the GSD groups know about him and won't touch him, why I don't know."

It is a very sad case. However, we all know how extremely full all of our GSD rescue groups are right now. From what I understand, this dog has no interest in people. Most foster homes have their family [children included] and other animals to think about. Where and who is suppose to foster him, probably for a very, very long time, and have the resources to help him through his many years of neglect?

GSDs Rock!
Liz Brannan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Knighted Member

Surely there is something to be done to help this poor boy?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

if he "has no interest in people" it will be so difficult to find any help for him. very sad.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:31 PM
dd
Crowned Member

What does "no interest in people" mean? He is aloof? He is afraid to bond? He has no desire to please?

My first rescue dog was all those things, and yes it requires patience, but he's certainly not a lost cause.

dd

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Like the local spca 'round here, I tried to use them to rehome Roxie, I even brought videos of a Bh routine and a couple of cute tricks. The didn't want to see it and they took her to be evaluated. I was told she just sat there, wasn't interested in them, didn't respond or play, just stared at them. I asked if they tried in German or wanted her Kong. I tried to explained that it took three days before she started to warm up to us. They wanted a a sloppy happy cur that would roll over on the spot, not a "real" dog.
Anyway, Roxie is still with us and at my feet most of the time and a snuggle bunny with her "family"

Some of you remember "Fritz" from New Kent, he wanted to eat you at first but once you established trust he was great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Unfortunately all rescues are overflowing. VGSR has posted a request for foster homes in the general section. The solution is, during the hard economic times when dogs go first, is more people volunteering to foster.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 PM
dd
Crowned Member

I realise every rescue is full. But I don't necessarily think that the assessment of "no interest in people" is very helpful. To me it sounds as if he is one of those dogs who does not do well in a shelter environment and has given up hope.

I agree with MaxGunnar's post - some dogs take a while to trust when they have been betrayed. I have also heard of dogs who were terrified or paralysed in a shelter changing almost magically once they were out.

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page