Rescue Mom and pups - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Rescue Mom and pups

I've talked to the German Shepherd Rescue of Central New York folks about volunteering and plan to head over sometime this week. I have also been following them on Facebook for a while, and there is a sad case going on right now.

I don't see the details from the original story, but the gist of it is there was a 10 year old GSD bitch with a litter of 6 puppies in Texas that were slated to all be euthanized. The people at this rescue in NY drove down to take all of them in.

The mom, Ava, was found positive for heartworm and whip worms. And now it turns out all 6 puppies have Parvo They are all currently hospitalized, 2 have passed away, 2 are still critical, and 2 are improving.

Fingers crossed for this poor little family!

The rescue's Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germa...801401?fref=ts

~Jessica~

Maya (Peakes Brook Night Prowler) - female ASL GSD born 12/2/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 03:21 AM
Crowned Member

I read the page and the time frame for the parvo is scary because they very well could have picked it up here and not there. Since they were in a shelter it can be a very strong possibility, but clinical signs show normally between 3 and 7 days. If that time frame is correct the rescue needs to watch and make sure where they are placing pups because it is really a close time frame. I hope the remaining pups survive, they sure are adorable and deserve a chance. The mom doesn't have it either?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

The rescue I work with here in FL was trying to pull Ava and her pups but it didn't work out. I have been wondering whatever happened to them. That's sad two passed away I hope the other pups pull through!

I'm not sure of the back story on them either. Update us if you can!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I read the page and the time frame for the parvo is scary because they very well could have picked it up here and not there. Since they were in a shelter it can be a very strong possibility, but clinical signs show normally between 3 and 7 days. If that time frame is correct the rescue needs to watch and make sure where they are placing pups because it is really a close time frame. I hope the remaining pups survive, they sure are adorable and deserve a chance. The mom doesn't have it either?
I think they were kept in quarantine, like all new arrivals. For two weeks or so, maybe? I think I read that they speculated the mom might be a carrier or something? I don't know much about that, and I'm trying to look back at what exactly they posted about it, but for some reason my internet is being shady and pages are trying to load for a really really long time.

~Jessica~

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Here is what I read: "It appears that their mother is a parvo carrier as they have been isolated from any other dogs since coming here."

~Jessica~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

or they picked it up on the ride up here. Or someone brought it in on their shoes. I would say it's pretty hard to pinpoint where they got it from.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Update:

3 of the 6 puppies survived and will soon join their new families.

Not sure what is going on with the Mama now. I do know she bit one of the ladies at the rescue place pretty good...

Untitled on Flickr

Untitled on Flickr

~Jessica~

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Another update for those who were interested: the 3 surviving puppies have gone to their forever homes, and an acquaintance of mine ended up adopting one of them

Here is Ranger:

11800173_10100494806480806_6120124342390693748_n , on Flickr

~Jessica~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page