Retired K-9 needs rescue (rescue in Tulsa) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Retired K-9 needs rescue (rescue in Tulsa)

I don't know much about this, just stumbled on this article

Retired German shepherd K-9 officer dumped at shelter when thought to be dying - National Pet Rescue | Examiner.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 04:35 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Poor boy. Hope he find a forever home.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Something does not seem right to me with this story.
I truly hope that any police dept. would treat their dogs with much more dignity than this. I also think that they would have top veterinary care, as to know whether the dog is dying or not.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

I worry this happens more often than anyone knows. Some departments do NOT care for their dogs well -- and they sell them at the end to "recoup costs." They may be the minority, but they're an ugly minority.

New Orleans GSR pulled a geriatric retired police K9 from the local kill shelter a few months ago -- he had been sold a couple of times post-retirement, and the last owner didn't feel like fooling with the cost of his arthritis. The NOPD did nothing to protect this dog, even when notified that one of "theirs" was in a kill-shelter--shameful. NOGSR got the dog out. Last I heard, they found a retired K9 officer who adopted--a perfect home, with someone who appreciates the dog's service. These otherwise aren't easy dogs for rescues to place, given the training they've had.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:54 PM

I can understand that these animals would be difficult to place. Not for the average Joe, that's for sure. But I would think that there would be some kind of retirement plan in place.
Maybe its time for me to take off my rose colored glasses.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Crowned Member

Recoup costs? For everything these dogs do, all lives they save, they don't deserve to live out their years in peace and not go from one kill shelter to another?
I'm shocked. I thought police dogs were much better taken care of and there was a plan in place that excluded any possibility of a shelter or a rescue.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Some departments do care for them well. Not all do. It's shameful that they can be discarded like a piece of worn-out equipment.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Some departments do care for them well. Not all do. It's shameful that they can be discarded like a piece of worn-out equipment.
Yes, I saw that this is only some depts. That's good to know but still. I thought there was a country wide law or whatever that specifies what happens to the dogs. I can't believe a k9 can even wind up at a shelter. I thought at the very least those dogs were protected from ending up with pet owners because of their training. And of courwe, just morally. They earned the right to a comfortable retirement
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Something need to be done to stop this practice. I remember back in the Vietnam era, when the dogs were considered "equipment", and left behind, much to the dismay of many handlers. With years of public outcry, things have changed. Military dogs would also be more difficult to place.
Maybe we all should start with our own local departments, and see what there retirement plan is. If its not up to snuff, time to let the public know. Public opinion holds a lot of weight, especially if includes elections of the higher ups.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM

Just saw on another forum that this boy has gone to Tulsa GSD rescue.
At least there's hope.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page