Retired K-9 needs rescue (rescue in Tulsa) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebGyp View Post
Something does not seem right to me with this story.
I truly hope that any police dept. would treat their dogs with much more dignity than this. I also think that they would have top veterinary care, as to know whether the dog is dying or not.
I've rescued more former police K9s than I care to count. They most certainly do not all end up living happily ever after with their handlers. Especially when handler gets a new dog. Two K9 s are not likely to be able to occupy the same space.

Every department is different in how they handle retired or washed out K9 s. But they don't like to spend money on what they consider a non deployable former asset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 06:37 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Yes, I saw that this is only some depts. That's good to know but still. I thought there was a country wide law or whatever that specifies what happens to the dogs. I can't believe a k9 can even wind up at a shelter. I thought at the very least those dogs were protected from ending up with pet owners because of their training. And of courwe, just morally. They earned the right to a comfortable retirement
A lot of drug dogs could be placed in pet homes--Labs have become the breed of choice for this work anyway.

Dual purpose & patrol dogs need experienced handlers. They could be found relatively easily at the nearest ScH/IPO club. You'll find more Mals than GSDs in a lot of departments now.

I used to run a rescue specifically for K9s. I've seen some real heartlessness.

It's all about the money.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
A lot of drug dogs could be placed in pet homes--Labs have become the breed of choice for this work anyway.

Dual purpose & patrol dogs need experienced handlers. They could be found relatively easily at the nearest ScH/IPO club. You'll find more Mals than GSDs in a lot of departments now.

I can't believe it. I'm sure you're telling the truth I just can't believe that our pds who try to project this image about them would do this to their dogs.

If they can't place them, how much does it cost to run a state wide or country wide sanctuary? No matter how much it costs, making these dogs work all their lives and then throw them away is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Elite Member

I adopted a really nice Czech dual pupose K9 from our local shelter several years ago. The shelter board members didn't know what to do with him, so they called me.

I ended up keeping him. Nice dog, ball crazy. Easy to handle. Seemed to me more like a dope dog than dual pupose.

The story went that he got older, they retired him to live with his handler who gave him away to an older lady who dumped him at the shelter in poor condition.

Of course, handler got a new K9 & had no use or room for his old partner.

He was about 9 when I got him & needed some vet care & good food, but he was a handsome boy.

Some of the local businesses people, like the towing company people remembered him well from his working days.

I used to take him to the SchH field with me to do some obed & throw the ball. That really made him happy.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post

Isn't it always with government?

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page