3 yr old GSD,ND, 8 days left,He has agression issues, & bite history (pts) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando & Julietta's Dad View Post
It sounds like your heart tells you to go pick him up because you think he could make it in a more ideal situation. It seems this young man put Harley in a situation with roomates that Harley was not ready for. I think Harley could have a good life with the right handler but its going to take some more effort on your part to acheive this. tI have seen many shepherds that are one person dogs and they are handled that way and do fine. I have also seen many one person shepherds that over time became more accepting of strangers and much less of a liability. It takes time, training and love. I wish the best for you in the very difficult time.
Well said, this is perfect.
If the dog is intelligent, loyal/loving to its person, and willing to learn. The dog is trainable and can be counter conditioned and desensitized.
It does sound like he probably was pushed too far. All dogs has thresholds. Some are a lot lower than others, you have to build up that threshold to a place where it is acceptable for you and safe for other people. The only thing that concerns me is that it sounds like he wen't full force with the bite and instead of a warning nip at the person (and hopefully only after lots of other calming signals and warnings were given!). That is something I personally would not take on as a project dog, but i am sure there are people out there willing to do so.
Call rescues, trainers who favor the breed, etc. and see if you can have someone give him another chance.
Otherwise my best advice to you if you cant, since it sounds like you love the guy.. Is to be with him for his euthanasia and spoil him rotten before. Dogs live in the moment, they don't count days, months or years. He will know that you were there, that he had fun and the energy from you. I'm sorry, this is so sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 AM
Crowned Member

there are very hard issues everyone has to face as they grow. some harder than others. you are facing a hard one. the strength (or not) of your character will determine how you deal with it. heartbreak is a fact of life, especially when you're dealing with other living beings. to walk away from all animals is certainly one choice that is open to you. you do sound pushed to the limit and I wish you strength and the ability to make a decision that you're comfortable with, no matter what that decision is. take care.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:34 AM

TSM, sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best for the dog in order to give him a the best chance to a good life. Peace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
At the Bridge, running free..

Brando GSD 2/14/94 -6/17/03 RIP
Julietta GSD 4/4/03 -11/23/13 RIP

Rest in peace my babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Go get him and take him to a GSD rescue...
rescues do not take dogs like this unless the owner lies and does not disclose the biting history
why on earth would a rescue want a dog that bites so bad people have to get stitches when there are dogs that do not bite sitting in shelters already that will die if not pulled to rescue?
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
If the dog is intelligent, loyal/loving to its person, and willing to learn. The dog is trainable and can be counter conditioned and desensitized.
It does sound like he probably was pushed too far. All dogs has thresholds. Some are a lot lower than others, you have to build up that threshold to a place where it is acceptable for you and safe for other people. The only thing that concerns me is that it sounds like he wen't full force with the bite and instead of a warning nip at the person (and hopefully only after lots of other calming signals and warnings were given!). That is something I personally would not take on as a project dog, but i am sure there are people out there willing to do so.
Call rescues, trainers who favor the breed, etc. and see if you can have someone give him another chance.
Otherwise my best advice to you if you cant, since it sounds like you love the guy.. Is to be with him for his euthanasia and spoil him rotten before. Dogs live in the moment, they don't count days, months or years. He will know that you were there, that he had fun and the energy from you. I'm sorry, this is so sad
Trust me I did call email pm probably 50 some people, lots of sites etc. he was smart, and actually liked his handler, one person at a time really, although I had him around some people, some he really liked others he did not. Today I finally got a message on my FB other folder don't know where she saw my status, but probably thru a share, It was a woman that trains SAR dogs and competition dogs, her profile pic was her in a bite suit.
Her message came the morning he was PTS. the guy that put him down and his vet wouldn't communicate with me so it probably woulkda took some nasty threats to get it all stopped....wish she coulda found me sooner
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGirlT View Post
And NO I DIDNT GET TO BE WITH HIM< NOR DO I KNOW IF HIS NEW HANDLER WAS
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando & Julietta's Dad View Post
TSM, sorry for your loss. You did what you thought was best for the dog in order to give him a the best chance to a good life. Peace.
Thank you, unfortunately it wasn't... and as far as trusting people, that will not come easily at all. I pray that anyone that for what ever reason cant keep their pet, really takes about 10 ref. because I screened about 40 people, and the 1 I thought was a good one still wasn't.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
there are very hard issues everyone has to face as they grow. some harder than others. you are facing a hard one. the strength (or not) of your character will determine how you deal with it. heartbreak is a fact of life, especially when you're dealing with other living beings. to walk away from all animals is certainly one choice that is open to you. you do sound pushed to the limit and I wish you strength and the ability to make a decision that you're comfortable with, no matter what that decision is. take care.

thank you
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

You're welcome (and I am so very sorry).

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss.

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page