Baton Rouge, La #36692 - Blind Senior "Dorothy" (in foster care) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, she likes the test-batch of home cooked food. I'm glad you mentioned cooking for her for the good smell, Ruth. The fresh baked, warm satin-balls with lots of organ meat in them were a big hit. The liver in them made them pretty smelly once it was cooked. She wolfed down 3 racket-ball sized portions, plus about a cup of Fromm kibble and her supplements.

It's the first time we've been able to get her to eat today. Victory!

Maryellen, I have dried Kombu (a kind of edible kelp) in the kitchen pantry. Would that be useful? I could soak it and mix it into the next batch of baked satin balls, as we're apparently going to have to do this again. Good thing I just bought 10# of meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Master Member

im not sure about that type. does your local pet store have kelp? or is a petco close that might have some? you could try the type you have and see if it works. ive always used icelandic organic kelp or the kelp you can find in pet stores.

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The appetite is coming back! She'll eat as many warm meat balls as I'll give her. She also ate about 3 cups of Orijen large-breed puppy food. I don't usually feed Orijen, but I had a small trial-size packet and opened it to see if it would appeal -- she ate the whole packet, so DH stopped and picked up a bag for her on the way home.

She's not eating Fromm. She apparently has champagne tastes, this one. LOL. She's willing to eat home-cooked meat balls and Orijen, and nothing else. She seems to recognize really rich food and be drawn to it. She refused the canned tripe though, and also refused Natural Balance duck canned food. If we can keep her eating like this while the Doxy knocks out the URI, I'll take it!

She snuggled with me this afternoon and let me rub her belly for the first time. It's always a special moment when a foster does that.

Here are a few pics of how thin she is -- and her "possum tail":

Last edited by Magwart; 08-14-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

What great news that she's eating! If she likes the smelly stuff I'm surprised she turned down the canned tripe! That stuff is SO smelly!

I wonder if she would like canned salmon?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

***UPDATE***

Dorothy has now gained over 10% of her body weight this past month (8 pounds) -- she's up to about 80 pounds. She ought to be 85-90 (she's a BIG girl), but she's looking really great.

She's now healthy. We got her through the URI, thanks to the Doxy, and she's shown us she's a playful, fun, friendly dog.

Now that she's healthy and has hair growing back in, and is getting some muscle tone from her walks...the vet now thinks she's likely only 5-7 years old. I think that's right. This isn't a geriatric dog--she's an active, playful adult.

She's pretty easy as a foster. We are enjoying having her here, and she'll stay as long as it takes. Here are some updated pics (DH re-organized photobucket folders, so the old links all got broken and photos disappeared-sorry!)

Here she is now:

Here's a picture of her back the day we brought her home, to offer perspective on how far she's come in 4 weeks:

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Oh my Goodness..what a wonderful job you have done with her! And what a lovely lady she is. There are good places in Heaven reserved for folks like you
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

***UPDATE***

My darling one-eyed Dorothy found her forever home today. The homecheck was flawless, and she's smitten with her new papa. She'll be very loved and spoiled for the years she's got left.

I've never had a foster who was so grateful for everything good that came her way. Heart of gold, this one. She deserves to be happy and loved.

I haven't cried over a foster leaving for a long time--but I'll miss this wonderful girl. She is a special dog. I'm so happy she found a great home.

Be safe and happy, sweet girl!

Last edited by Magwart; 09-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for the update and thank you for helping Dorothy find her forever home. You rock!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

what a dear girl. thank you for giving her a chance for the good life.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page