Baton Rouge, La #36692 - Blind Senior "Dorothy" (in foster care) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, all. She broke with kennel cough yesterday. It's a wicked strain that has been turning into pneumonia in some dogs leaving the shelter into foster. This is a concern since she's so fragile due to the emaciation. My DH is taking her to our own vet, and we're paying for a RX of Doxy (the "good" antibiotic for a URI). I don't want to mess around with "second choice" antibiotics to "wait and see" if they work.

The kennel cough would have doomed her at the shelter -- a dog like this would have been euthed once sick. I'm very, very glad she didn't break with it until she got to my house.

Jelpy, thank you SO much for the offer! I'll send you a PM. I have no budget for transport here (I am fostering her for a very underfunded public shelter). Usually with out of state adoptions, the shelter requires the adopter to arrange transport. We can talk and see if we can come up with some creative solution.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-13-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Thanks so much for taking in this dog! Glad to hear that she needs some groceries and TLC and should be on the mend. Also nice to hear that she has such a great temperament!

I'm sure I don't need to tell you to be sure to do reference and home checks...even if it were me I would recommend it. We don't really know who anyone is on this forum...

Oops, just saw that she has KC. In addition to the abx I would give her something to boost her immune system.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yep, yep. It's going to be a while before she's ready to go anywhere. We've got a comprehensive app with personal and vet references, and I do call them. The few times I've had an out-of-state app for my fosters, I've been able to work through a local GSR in the prospective adopter's hometown to do a home check for me. The folks at the GSR in Houston had an absolutely wonderful, very experienced volunteer helping me with one last year, actually.

Right now, we are supplementing with organic coconut oil, fish oil, vit. B complex, mixed tocopherol vit. E, digestive enzymes and a probiotic. Her appetite is waning as the KC gets worse (typical), so it is going to be a challenge to keep her eating. She's too thin to stop eating!

I may make her some satin balls. I just picked up 10# of mixed ground beef heart, tongue, liver and kidney from a small local butcher. Do you think I should bake them instead of feeding them raw, since her immune system is shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

I usually just avoid raw when they have intestinal issues. Can you get tripe?

If her appetite is going you may have to cook so that there is a good smell. Slippery elm is great for nausea but has to be given a half hour away from meds.

I'm still on the fence about coconut oil (in large amounts) but what about vit. C and colostrum?

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

Last edited by BowWowMeow; 08-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Funny you mention C -- I actually just added an Ester-C to her supps. She does eat cubes of NB roll from my hand, and small amounts of food--but it's pretty clear her appetite is fading fast. Typical of KC.

I've never used colosutrum. I can swing by Whole Foods and look for it. You've seen it help sick dogs, I take it?

I don't have access to tripe here right now. I may check with the butcher who sold me the other stuff and see if he might bring tripe to the farmer's market this weekend (he comes from out in the country..not sure if he sells it).

I'm thinking I'll bake up some of the meat with some oats and a few eggs for her. I think the cooked liver in it might appeal to her.

The coconut oil has to be started in small doses and worked up. I think it's likely important for her, as she's also got lots of yeasty stuff going on (in the ears, on the skin, undoubtedly systemic inside her too). We gave her a chlorhex bath when we brought her home, and her skin already seems to feel better. Vet today gave us Otomax for the ears too--when we cleaned them with a diluted vinegar solution, we noticed lots of crusty, dirty stuff, which the vet wants to treat. I do think we need to support ridding the yeast slowly systemically--not too fast as the last thing she needs right now is herxing on top of all the other problems.

Her energy is pretty good. She wants to go walking and it perks her up, though we only go about three houses down as I don't want to tire her out. The change of scenery and fresh air seems to agree with her, and she seems so happy to be outside, even for a short bit.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-13-2013 at 04:42 PM.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Master Member

solid gold makes green tripe - Solid Gold Green Cow Green Beef Tripe at PETCO

so does dr harveys Natural Tripe Treat for Dogs - Power Patties - Dr. Harvey's

maybe your local pet store has them so that you can get them ?

also salmon oil will help too- you can use salmon oil or salmon oil pills from the supermarket/walmart/petstore too.. that will help boost her immune system, so will
kelp Store List

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Good suggestion -- I just called my little independent pet food store, and he's got 5 cans of Merrick's canned tripe food in stock: http://www.petfooddirect.com/product...FQee4AodYm0Azg Heading over to get it now. I'll spoon feed her that stinky stuff if it keeps her eating. LOL.

I think I'm going to also make her a cooked version of satin balls: meat, cereal, oats, eggs, oil, molasses -- just bake it up in little balls for her. I may leave out the cereal, though and keep it simple. Any thoughts on anything else to add before baking?
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Crowned Member

I've tried coconut oil with the dogs and I eat it myself. Works great on the outside (cuts, burns, dry skin, etc.) but haven't noticed any difference on the inside. It is very high in saturated fat so I suppose if nothing else it will help with weight gain.

I used the colostrum for Rafi when I adopted him. He had demodex and was recovering from tough times living on his own.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Master Member

baby food might work too, its really stinky and pretty much no dogs will turn it down ...

Maryellen
Sadie ATTS
Honey

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Master Member

improving the immune system, this works too echinacea purpurea.

Maryellen
Sadie ATTS
Honey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page