Need a farm for my dog; Ork Vom Stahlfang - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

Last year, I spent nearly 6 months away from home because I was in a bad car wreck.....my three older dogs went to stay with friends - absolutely wonderful friends who took on mine while I was recuperating....

One dog adapted fine, and even when he came to see me, was trying to entice people to play ball with him (he was 11 at the time), another did ok, but when she visited, wanted to do nothing more than be with me, touching me (8 at the time)....the third (9, turned 10 while I was in hospital) was happy to see me, crawled on top of me....but had adapted very well to her new family.....due to my diminished mobility, only two came home and the third stayed with the couple who took her....they also have a K litter female and as the two are besties, they actually were more than happy that I gave them the option to keep her since she is doing well.....

Only Csabre, of the three, really would not have been happy to stay in their temporary homes....a dog who has been kenneled alot would probably be very happy to be given a pet home to live out his life....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Master Member

Not judging this person, I don't know his/her reason for trying to find a home for the dog. But I can help but think about Ty, the 14 year old Malinois that was "thrown away" by his owner. Malinois rescue took him in and his foster family kept him so that he wouldn't have to go through the rehoming process again. He was so very sad in the beginning but gradually adjusted. He only lived 2 more years, I think. I can't go back and read the story without crying, so that's all I can say.
Successful Rescue Stories - Ty a Senior Malinois's Story

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM

I think I better just keep quiet about what I think about getting rid of a 13 year old.......

Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Crowned Member

Gorgeous German Shepherd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM

normally I just lurk, but this reminded me of a poem.

For Hanna by Elizabeth Clark
What morning when you waken is the right one to decide
That this dog will be forsaken and no more with you abide?
"A dog like this will find a home, and what will be the harm
in telling all the children that she's living on a farm?"
As you bring her in and leave her in her lonely metal cage
and act as if you have no choice, I feel a silent rage.
What heinous thing has this dog done? What has been her crime? Or are other things more pressing and you just don't have the time?
This dog who loved her master and served him day by day has become an inconvenience and has now been sent away.
As she keeps her silent vigil, the tears in my eyes burn, while with trusting expectation she waits for your return.
A dog like this will have no home, no master will be found. For who will take an older dog when younger ones abound?
Now at last her time has come, and with a gentle nod
I'll cradle your dog in my arms, and send her back to God.

At least the OP is trying to find a home themself instead of taking the old guy to a shelter, but there are worse things than peaceful euthanasia. If mine were 13, I'd let them go in their home, in my arms, in familiar surroundings.
vickie
post #46 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM

<sob>
post #47 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
Not judging this person, I don't know his/her reason for trying to find a home for the dog. But I can help but think about Ty, the 14 year old Malinois that was "thrown away" by his owner. Malinois rescue took him in and his foster family kept him so that he wouldn't have to go through the rehoming process again. He was so very sad in the beginning but gradually adjusted. He only lived 2 more years, I think. I can't go back and read the story without crying, so that's all I can say.
Successful Rescue Stories - Ty a Senior Malinois's Story
OMG.... I can't see the screen through the tears.

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #48 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
...a dog who has been kenneled alot would probably be very happy to be given a pet home to live out his life....Lee
^I agree. A dog that is 13 and in good health still has a lot of life to enjoy and a lot to offer the right home! I hope this fellow finds a loving place to live out the rest of his life.

To the OP, try courtesy listing with a rescue to find a good placement for your dog. I am sorry that you are unable to keep him - and, if staying with you either means he would be in a kennel the majority of the time or being PTS - I hope you make every effort to find him the home he deserves.
post #49 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Banned

Kennel dog, I agree.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #50 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

It is sad that this old dog has to go through a big change at such an old age BUT some are putting human emotions onto a dog.
There is a very good chance that this dog would adjust very well to a new home.....suggesting euthanasia seems ridiculous to me. Dogs adjust to changes in their lives much better than we do......why wouldn't you give him the chance to live out his years in a nice home??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page