Need a farm for my dog; Ork Vom Stahlfang - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

"One of those that lives 'til 17?"
Really? Can you guarantee that?

For 13 years, this dog has likely given you his heart and soul. Now in what should be his golden years, you're going to rip his heart out and put him under a lot of stress.
13 is an impressive age for a GSD.

I'm sorry, but this is depressing. We have a lab that we've had for 13 years. I couldn't imagine shattering her heart by giving her away in her old age.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Crowned Member

to the OP. and i say this with no malice but only with stone cold truth. it would be so much kinder of you to euthanize this dog. i will not comment further and reserve judgement on the temperature of your heart, because i don't know your circumstances.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

I agree with the sentiments of y'all, but shouldn't we be concentrating on getting this dog to a safe place? If we scare off the OP we're letting that dog go on Craigslist to who knows where doing who knows what. It sucks that a guy who has been the backbone of this person's entire breeding program is being placed, but we have the opportunity to make his remaining years amazing by helping him find his retirement home on this forum.

OP, are you willing to travel? Has he had any health problems? Can he still move OK, stand up and lay down unassisted?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

yes, marbury, after i posted i thought about it and decided that the energy is better spent trying to find a solution for the dog, and that maybe my comment was inappropriate. i just cannot imagine, tho...i mean, a 13 year old. if there was a breeding program, surely there must be some recognition of how dedicated and loyal these dogs are, and how difficult it would be for this boy to transition to another home, and surely some recognition of how improbable "following along behind a farmer" is.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
yes, marbury, after i posted i thought about it and decided that the energy is better spent trying to find a solution for the dog, and that maybe my comment was inappropriate. I just cannot imagine, tho...i mean, a 13 year old. If there was a breeding program, surely there must be some recognition of how dedicated and loyal these dogs are, and how difficult it would be for this boy to transition to another home, and surely some recognition of how improbable "following along behind a farmer" is.
lIkE!

Maybe one of the people who own a pup from Ork may want to give him a forever home if the breeder won't keep him. I'd be honored to have had Karlo's sire spend his last days with me.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-21-2013 at 10:27 PM.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Is it possible for this guy to transition well into a home?

How was he kept until now? Inside, outside?

Was he kept as a family pet?

What food is he eating?

What kind of exercise does he require?

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Crowned Member

So now the OP gets quiet or was it troll message to get everyone worked up?
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM

My uncle isn't a dog person, but he LOVED to spoil my aunt, so she had three dogs, I think they were Jack Russells. In October 2011, she had her annual mammogram, it was clean. In December 2011, she felt something and went to the doc. Infected milk gland, she was told. March 2012, she was finally diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. July 2012, she was given a clean bill of slate, in remission, they said.

August 2012 they found the brain tumor. September 2012, they gave her just weeks to live.

She wanted her babies to go to someone who would love them, and I swear she hung on just to find them great homes. She died October 17, 2012, the day after she found a good home for the 3rd dog.

We don't know WHY this dog is being rehomed, and very possibly, it might not be any of our business. Some of the snide remarks here make me want to cry.
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So now the OP gets quiet or was it troll message to get everyone worked up?
No, I think this is legit.
This breeder used to be in California, now she says she is in MA. She had this dog and three breeding bitches.

We do not know the circumstances.

Do you guys seriously think this dog could not adapt?
Would he not get along with, say, a one and a half year old intact male?

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Depends on the circumstances/handling from the getgo and the dynamics of the pack structure. I know some senior dogs that you would never guess they are elderly, and some that drag butt at 8.
If the dog is of good temp/health, he should take easily to someone dishing out love and affection. I am ASSuming he isn't a working dog, so it may be easier to adjust to a new person than one that is leaving a 'team' mate.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page