Acworth, GA-Stunning GSD abandoned at vet office - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Re: Acworth, GA-Stunning GSD abandoned at vet office

Patton met Max and Clover today. We made a long full day of it to ease in. Max is the bigger concern as he has still had issues with dog aggression. Since Max (unlike Clover) is willing to go in the basement, I took him down there with treats while Patton remained in the crate. Patton made the first Growl and Max barked back. I got Max out of his sight and then brought him back over. Sat them and gave them treats. 5 overall visits to the basement over a period of 3 hours with very good results said it was time to go to the next step. Cathy took Clover and Max out to get nails trimmed and my son walked Patton. I brought his crate upstairs and he was waiting there when the other two got home. Let that settle in and then let him out. Cathy was at the ready with cheese and they all paid close attention.

After this settled in we went for a group walk. Max made a fuss when we got out so Cathy took him back in for a 30 second time out. 5th try, walk finally ensued. Twice around the block and back in the house. So far so good. Milled around inside, then went out in the back yard. Lot's of playing and running and then a serious dust up between Max and Patton over a ball. Got them apart and settled down, took a timeout inside, then did it all again. One small spat and then pretty much settled in. We took another walk after dinner with absolutely no incident. During dinner we got clued in that he probably got people food in his prior home. Too bad, so sad, not anymore.

The only other issue we had was him chasing a cat up the stairs just a few minutes ago but we'll work on that next.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Knighted Member

Oh he is beuatiful!! Thanks for the update and keep them coming.
I like to read follow ups makes me happy! Thanks for saving him.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin

He is stunning, so glad he has a happy home with you now!

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Knighted Member

Im glad you saved him!
He is such a handsome boy!

Kilo- GSD
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

Any more updates? Sounds like things are going well.

More pictures would be nice too.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

I don't have any new pictures to post yet but things are pregressing very nicely. We haven't had anything close to a fight since Monday or Tuesday. My wife and I have each walked all three of them by ourselves without incident. Today Max and Patton even played tug with a squeak toy without an issue (in fact Patton initiated the game). Then all three started playing chase through the house, again started by Patton.

Patton has done pretty well with the cats. As long as they don't run they have been fine. He took a swipe at one when I picked it up the other day and incurred a stern scolding. The next time a picked a cat up in front of him he laid down looking sheepish.

He really wants to stay here and I think the other two are certainly acting OK with it. Right now they are all sacked out as we just went on a two mile walk.

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Sound great! Will be waiting patiently for pictures...

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Elite Member

Last Sunday the two wary combatants (Max and Patton) turned into best buddies. They were rolling around on the floor, wrestling, pawing each other and generally having a great time. They have continued this behavior for the most part although we have had a couple of fights. Usually a dust up is preceded by Max seeing another dog which gets his dander up and then that puts him back into his old mode. Other than that, these guys are doing just fine. The cats are not an issue at all.

We took Patton to the vet today as we found out while he had a heartworm test in May, they had not put him on a preventative. So we re-did the test and as soon as we get the all clear we will get him on heartguard. He scaled at 87 pounds and the vet says he should have 5 more, so his previous 95 pounds was about right apparently. The way he likes to eat, he won't have any problem getting the 5 back.

He has played in the backyard with Max and Clover but today he got to go over to the junior high across the street. We let them all off leash and had them running back and forth between us. Ran them good doing that and then took what I like to call our pack walk. DW and I just walk and let them pace with us. When they stop paying attention, or get out in front, we change direction and they have to follow. It's kind of fun and a nice change from the regular walk routine on leash.

I don't have a great camera but I have included a couple of shots of Patton and the crew. We are still officially fostering him in our mind, (or so we tell ourselves) but that is wavering quickly. The big test was him getting along with our other two, and then also determining can we handle three of these wonderful animals at the same time. So far all of this is working out pretty well.

Here is Patton relaxing in the family room.

Here are all three outdoors in the yard chasing tennis balls.

Here are the two new buddies chilling on the lawn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page