We would like advice on which male puppy to buy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

We would like advice on which male puppy to buy

Our girl is now 6 months old. We decided we would buy a male to keep her company and possibly breed.
We are in central Tennessee and there are not that many breeders near us. One that we found about 50 miles away has 2 males left who were born 5/1/2019. I attach the Kennel data from the AKC site. The Dam is Yoschi Von Lotta and the sire is Aloisus Van Noort.

Our girls dam was Xerra Z Barabak LIPIN and the sire was Max Team Von Der Familien Schafer. She was born 1/4/2019

Can someone knowledgeable tell us if the male puppy looks like he would be a good stud to breed with our girl?

Can you advise us on what we should be careful about? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	522945  

Last edited by rod5591; 07-06-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:55 PM

You can’t really tell by just looks which one will be the best to breed, especially if they’re just babies themselves.
And also with your female being just a baby at 6 months, id highly suggest for your sakes wait a bit longer if you want another puppy. You should be your pups only company right now! 👍🏻
Now I’m not fully with your breeding practices, not at all but if you really want to breed your girl I suggest you get her completely health checked ( you can fully do it around 2 years old when she’s fully developed ) to ensure the pups will be healthy and live good disease free lives. Even pups from breeders can have issues that aren’t seen on the outside.
If she passes her health tests then I’d suggest actually finding a proven stud maybe instead if you can. I’m unsure how that all works because I’m no breeder, but Thatd be much better than risking it with two pups.. You wouldn’t want to get a 2nd puppy to plan on breeding that may be a total crap shoot! That wouldn’t be good 😬 for you or the puppies. But I will say, your female would have to be in tip top breeding condition, and if working line probably show ability to work and of course the clean bill of health.
I’m not even going to look at the pups because of this.. but use your best judgement for what’s right for the breed! If you don’t want to deal with the stud stuff I can’t help that, but I do suggest you look for an older dog who is already health tested and proven to the slightest if you’re dead set on breeding your female. It’ll be much better
rod5591 likes this.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennaandkurama View Post
You can’t really tell by just looks which one will be the best to breed, especially if they’re just babies themselves.
And also with your female being just a baby at 6 months, id highly suggest for your sakes wait a bit longer if you want another puppy. You should be your pups only company right now! 👍🏻
Now I’m not fully with your breeding practices, not at all but if you really want to breed your girl I suggest you get her completely health checked ( you can fully do it around 2 years old when she’s fully developed ) to ensure the pups will be healthy and live good disease free lives. Even pups from breeders can have issues that aren’t seen on the outside.
If she passes her health tests then I’d suggest actually finding a proven stud maybe instead if you can. I’m unsure how that all works because I’m no breeder, but Thatd be much better than risking it with two pups.. You wouldn’t want to get a 2nd puppy to plan on breeding that may be a total crap shoot! That wouldn’t be good 😬 for you or the puppies. But I will say, your female would have to be in tip top breeding condition, and if working line probably show ability to work and of course the clean bill of health.
I’m not even going to look at the pups because of this.. but use your best judgement for what’s right for the breed! If you don’t want to deal with the stud stuff I can’t help that, but I do suggest you look for an older dog who is already health tested and proven to the slightest if you’re dead set on breeding your female. It’ll be much better
agreed that we won't breed our girl until age 2 1/2 or 3 years, if we do breed her at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

First, I would never buy a puppy with the intention of breeding him to a female puppy I had. You have to make sure the temperaments and drives match. Your girl is half czech/half showline. You are buying a showline male. You have to train both. You have to do health testing on both. Vet both. Feed both.

Do these puppies have full registration? The sire is pink papered. Does he have his "AKC papers yet? Does your female have full registration? Or limited?

What if your girl, or perspective male puppy, has bad hips? Can't breed.
What if one of them has a nerve issues as they mature? Can't breed.

Your girl really doesn't need another puppy as company. Then they bond together and they don't bond with you.

So my opinion is raise your girl. Put the training and testing into her. Then look around and find a stud to pair her with. It's much less expensive, less work and will give you a better chance of finding the right pairing.
sit,stay, tc68, gsdsteve and 7 others like this.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

I would also question the breeder on why they are using the name of a German Kennel that works and titles their dog.

https://en.working-dog.com/dogs-deta...ldsteiger-Land

Hugely unethical.
dogbyte, tc68, rod5591 and 3 others like this.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Elite Member

Ditto to everything Jax said. Focus on your pupper now. If you decide to breed her in a couple years there will be plenty of males to pick from at that time. No point in doubling your workload/expenses/time commitments now.
rod5591 likes this.

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would also question the breeder on why they are using the name of a German Kennel that works and titles their dog.

https://en.working-dog.com/dogs-deta...ldsteiger-Land

Hugely unethical.

Thank you to all who responded, and I do appreciate you sharing your expertise.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Do these puppies have full registration? The sire is pink papered. Does he have his "AKC papers yet? Does your female have full registration? Or limited?

What if your girl, or perspective male puppy, has bad hips? Can't breed.
What if one of them has a nerve issues as they mature? Can't breed.
Thank you, Jax08 for your response. Yes, our girl has a full registration. The Breeder of the male pup (Wildsteigerland German Shepherds) says she will give me full registration for $200 more. Complete cost is $1,500.

About my girl's hips--I looked at her parents at pedigreedatabase.com and it shows his hips/elbows as Hip: FCI: A 1/2 () - Elbows: FCI: A 1/2 ()

sire: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...milien-schafer

The mothers hips and elbows are "not known". Yhe grandfather's hips and elbows are "Hip: CMKU A 0/1 - Elbows: Not known". I could not even find the grandmother.

Question: Are the "not knowns" for hips/elbows red flags?

What does "pink papered" mean??

Thanks so much for your time!

Last edited by rod5591; 07-06-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

Pink papered means the registration is in Germany. So in order to get AKC papers, the dogs have to submit DNA to AKC, owners in Germany have to sign documents. My 10 mth old came from a litter bred in Germany.

I wouldn't call unknown ratings a red flag at this point. You already have her. If I were buying a puppy and saw that, I would back away. However, you have to have her hips and elbows down. You should send it into the SV to check for TV as well. That's several hundred dollars.

I don't know SV scoring on hips and elbows so can't speak to that. I believe the A is excellent and then the numbers break it down more.

So she'll just hand out full registration for a little more money? No stipulations like the dog has to be titled and then full registration is available?

Then you should get her titled. At the very minimum, she should have an IGP1. You could get a show rating and breed survey done as well.

After you've health tested her and titled her, then you look for a male to compliment her.

And as a side note, I have an intact male and my 10 mth old female just went thru her first heat. Keeping them separate wasn't hard but it's a pain....and then there are the few days that Seger completely lost his mind. Not fun.

I'm not sure where you are in TN but maybe Alexis could help you out finding a club or a trainer. @GatorDog

Just curious - why do you want to breed?
middleofnowhere, tc68 and Nigel like this.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

Your pup doesn't need a pup companion.
Two puppies in the same household when both are this young is discouraged for reasons others have given.
My recommendation on which male to get --- neither.

Revisit that decision.

Others have said this with more tact.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page