High Drive, Low Drive, Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

High Drive, Low Drive, Training

Hi everyone!

I have seen a few posts regarding Drive does not equal Energy.

I have read that a higher drive can make training easier as they are easily enticed by their drive. ( I may be misunderstanding what I read). I thought I remembered actually reading that a High Drive can be more difficult as well and worse around kids than a low drive.

How does drive affect going for a hike?

Is a low drive difficult to train but less likely to nip at kids running around?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

IMO most people looking for a great active companion are wanting a medium drive dog. Low drive is not what I would want to work with or even hang out with and super high drive is probably too pushy and too demanding for most pet homes. My dad got an adult female that is medium to medium high drive. She is very good, but sometimes the pushing to play can be a bit much. They do love her, though. If she had been much younger she might have been too much dog for him.
Jax08, ausdland, CometDog and 1 others like this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Lower drive dog lets me take a nap, might even join me, while my higher drive dog drops things on me. Kind of like water boarding only with toys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Lower drive dog lets me take a nap, might even join me, while my higher drive dog drops things on me. Kind of like water boarding only with toys.
LOL great description!

My advice would be forget about you assessing a drive category and what you want..choose a reputable recommended breeder (post in "choosing a breeder" section would be good). Tell the breeder about your wants, your life, and your vision of your life with the dog. They will know how to most accurately place one of their puppies.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post

Is a low drive difficult to train but less likely to nip at kids running around?
And just as a general FYI any GSD pup or Lab pup or whatever pup is likely to do this. It's a family convo of expectations and a plan on how to handle/redirect etc
Sabis mom and Safari64 like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Love the analogy. Made me laugh !!!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
LOL great description!

My advice would be forget about you assessing a drive category and what you want..choose a reputable recommended breeder (post in "choosing a breeder" section would be good). Tell the breeder about your wants, your life, and your vision of your life with the dog. They will know how to most accurately place one of their puppies.
Exactly. Figure out what you from a gsd and find one that meets your expectations.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Knighted Member

Think of drive as an innate, genetic thing that a dog can't ever "turn off". A dog with high prey drive, for example, will always be excited by prey. And that can translate to balls or any small creature running and making noise, kids included! But that doesn't mean for one second that they can't be trained to differentiate!

High defensive drive is a completely different thing though, so "drivey" versus non "drivey" doesn't do it Justus.

IMHO any dog that is high energy but low drive is a poorly bred dog! You don't want that!

What, as others have mentioned, you really want is a medium drive dog, then set appropriate boundaries and train them! So many people don't for some reason like to tell a dog NO. When in fact, that's the best thing they could possibly do! And mean it when you do, without being angry or out of control!
Safari64 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't concern myself with drive, I would find a reputable breeder and be honest and open about what you expect from a dog and what you can and cannot provide.

My working dog was probably low drive but had off the charts protection drive, so it worked really well. My current dog has is lower drive but crazy hunt and prey drive and she is a happy mess most would not live with. My old man was high drive but super biddable so we made it work.
Drive needs to be balanced and measured with other traits.
cliffson1 likes this.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

thresholds are also something that is important...drives are described from low to high, thresholds are as important for control as well. I want a high drive, medium to high threshold and a thinking dog. The main drives that are important to me, are pack, food, hunt and fight. Total package when balanced.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page