High Drive, Low Drive, Training - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Good to know. My opinion was based on my observations over the years.
The ones I've been around are more low-key as in won't destroy your house like your untrained bored GSD will. But way less biddable and less focus. The ones I've been around most recently completely break the golden retriever stereotype. Don't bond very well to people, aggression issues, just all around not good temperaments. And they're being bred and sold like crazy because goldens are supposed to be good family dogs.

Kind of funny most of the poorly bred german shepherds I've seen are some of the friendliest well behaved dogs I've met while the goldens are kind of awful. (Although my friend has had nothing but terrible experiences will poorly bred GSDs. She manages to meet all the nervy out of their mind ones.)

Based on my experiences I can see so many of the reasons GSDs are in such high demand. Both of the poorly bred GSDs I've had would make awesome family dogs and people who meet them would love to have dogs just like them in temperament and both were gorgeous. Shelby has the german red and tan while Brutus was a good looking black and tan. Brutus could've done some serious tracking work in the right hands and was super smart and sweet. Shelby the low drive one, maybe herding, that seems to be the only real drive she has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:30 AM
Crowned Member

Higher drive dogs will always want to interact and do things with you and are capable of going with the energy of the house naps and all. Different levels of different drives, shut off switch and balances that make differences. Good to go to clubs,show events and meet dogs see what you may like and what fits.
Safari64 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Wow. I have reread these replies at least 3 times each. Thank you so much for the info.

I was already contacting breeders and I am going to trust them to know what will work. I was just asking more for understanding and this has given me a lot to think on. The more I learn about German Shepherds the more I love them.

One of the breeders I was talking to said that I would be looking for a medium drive and that some of their pups could end up working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
Wow. I have reread these replies at least 3 times each. Thank you so much for the info.

I was already contacting breeders and I am going to trust them to know what will work. I was just asking more for understanding and this has given me a lot to think on. The more I learn about German Shepherds the more I love them.

One of the breeders I was talking to said that I would be looking for a medium drive and that some of their pups could end up working.
Don't be afraid to shop around. There are a lot of good breeders out there. I have bought from breeders that I would not hesitate to recommend or to buy from again. Then again, if I were in the market, I would not have a problem buying from a completely different breeder if they had what I was looking for.
Safari64 likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

A dog being social with people and dogs has little to do with his / her drive.

A dog capable of thinking in drive is critical (for me).

High energy is usually associated with high drive, but not always.

Get out and meet some dogs, see what you like, and then go to the breeder that produces what you like. It's hard as a beginner to know what you want, until you see it.

Once you see a really nicely bred GSD that meets your needs, you'll know it. A great shepherd is unmatched, you will never want another breed type.
Safari64 likes this.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

I have a medium energy, high drive dog. 90% of the time he is off and resting, but even with his eyes closed, he is just waiting to go into drive. He can go from dozing to ON in an instant.

I have noticed people who might have GSD experience but not a lot of buying experience don’t really understand how to find the right breeder, what to ask and how to evaluate. All puppies look cute and picking a puppy at 5-6 weeks is almost impossible for most people. An example, a neighbor wanted a purebred puppy. I told them everything I would look for in a breeder. Then I saw they had a 4 month old puppy. Where did they get him? On Craigslist. He’s an Ok dog. He looks like a petline, probably 3/4 ASL with some other line thrown in. They got him at 9-10 weeks. He has a very narrow face and his back is straight, without a lot of slope. He’s purebred. They claim to have a full pedigree but were not interested in showing it to me. He’s a nice dog, he doesn’t eat their cats and he is pretty good off leash. But he’s not anything I would have recommended for them. They wanted a watch dog. He’s not. They wanted a hiking dog. He is probably that but doesn’t seem to have much energy. The point of this long story is that I told them about drive, thresholds and energy, explained about good breeders and BYBs. They nodded and said thank you but very obviously did not understand a word I said. When it came time to buy, the man wanted a dog that day. If he was going to drive 2-3 hours, he wasn’t coming home without a dog. He also refused to pay over $500 for a dog.
Safari64 likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I have a medium energy, high drive dog. 90% of the time he is off and resting, but even with his eyes closed, he is just waiting to go into drive. He can go from dozing to ON in an instant.

I have noticed people who might have GSD experience but not a lot of buying experience don’t really understand how to find the right breeder, what to ask and how to evaluate. All puppies look cute and picking a puppy at 5-6 weeks is almost impossible for most people. An example, a neighbor wanted a purebred puppy. I told them everything I would look for in a breeder. Then I saw they had a 4 month old puppy. Where did they get him? On Craigslist. He’s an Ok dog. He looks like a petline, probably 3/4 ASL with some other line thrown in. They got him at 9-10 weeks. He has a very narrow face and his back is straight, without a lot of slope. He’s purebred. They claim to have a full pedigree but were not interested in showing it to me. He’s a nice dog, he doesn’t eat their cats and he is pretty good off leash. But he’s not anything I would have recommended for them. They wanted a watch dog. He’s not. They wanted a hiking dog. He is probably that but doesn’t seem to have much energy. The point of this long story is that I told them about drive, thresholds and energy, explained about good breeders and BYBs. They nodded and said thank you but very obviously did not understand a word I said. When it came time to buy, the man wanted a dog that day. If he was going to drive 2-3 hours, he wasn’t coming home without a dog. He also refused to pay over $500 for a dog.

This is a terrific example of what I am trying to avoid. I have a thread in the Choosing a Breeder forum asking for recommendations. I have absolutely no idea what to look for in a puppy, I am trying to talk to breeders who will listen to my situation and work with me.

Also, I am not in a hurry to get a dog. I am in the process of finding a house and moving. If I can be set up by Summer and get a dog after that then great. I would prefer everything to line up nicely. If it doesn't then I will probably wait until next Summer. I don't think I want to start potty training a puppy in the snow. Depends on the house I guess.

For now I just want to research a lot and possibly get on a waiting list of a good breeder. Although, it is so tempting to just sign up with people the deposit keeps me from jumping in.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
This is a terrific example of what I am trying to avoid. I have a thread in the Choosing a Breeder forum asking for recommendations. I have absolutely no idea what to look for in a puppy, I am trying to talk to breeders who will listen to my situation and work with me.

Also, I am not in a hurry to get a dog. I am in the process of finding a house and moving. If I can be set up by Summer and get a dog after that then great. I would prefer everything to line up nicely. If it doesn't then I will probably wait until next Summer. I don't think I want to start potty training a puppy in the snow. Depends on the house I guess.

For now I just want to research a lot and possibly get on a waiting list of a good breeder. Although, it is so tempting to just sign up with people the deposit keeps me from jumping in.
The breeders I deal with always want to know what the goals are I have for my future puppy. There is a lengthy questionnaire so they can discern if one of their pups would be a good fit. I would certainly make a list of what you want, your lifestyle and what you expect from a pup that won't stay a pup long, but become a teenager in a blink of an eye.
I see so many people(local in a GSD fb group) that have no idea what they were getting into with this breed.
Don't take this personally, but..... If you don't want to potty train a pup in the snow, it kind of says to me, that you aren't really going to put forth a ton of effort in training general manners or go to the level this breed requires. I don't enjoy potty training a dog in the snow either, but all dogs do need to be given a huge amount of time and commitment.....this breed is so smart, many of the dogs are smarter than their owners.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Don't take this personally, but..... If you don't want to potty train a pup in the snow, it kind of says to me, that you aren't really going to put forth a ton of effort in training general manners or go to the level this breed requires. I don't enjoy potty training a dog in the snow either, but all dogs do need to be given a huge amount of time and commitment.....this breed is so smart, many of the dogs are smarter than their owners.
Ouch, I’m taking this personally and I’m not even the OP, lol. I find not wanting to and not liking to as one in the same.... much different from I won’t...

I read the OP’s comment as an expression of ideal circumstances / timing. I don’t even live in the snow and I’d try to avoid a winter pup too just because I don’t like being cold or wet. Since it “depends on the house” there could be other reasons attached to this preference. I at the very least hear willingness in the statement.

They’re here and theyre not rushing... let’s give them a chance.
Safari64 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; Yesterday at 07:56 PM.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

I live in snow country for 7 months out of the year...waiting for a pup that is perfect timing for a great breeding is hard to find. I lucked out with one, another two pups I had to potty train in the worst weather ever. It shouldn't be a deal breaker when choosing a breeder and then a breeding. That short window of time is just that...and the commitment level of taking on a puppy is huge, regardless.
Gambit never saw anything but snow until he was almost 4 months old..it was hard to get him to pee on grass!

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in