New Member With Questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

New Member With Questions

Hello everyone! I’ve been a lurker on this forum for about four years now and have learned so much from this community. My husband and I are considering adding a puppy to our family in the next couple of years and I would really love some input from all of you on 1. If a GSD is a good fit for us and 2. Breeder recommendations. Problem is, I’m not sure where to post. Should it be in “Finding the Right Puppy”? Should I do two separate posts?

Also, we have two cats that mean the world to us that I just have to share with you all! I know you guys love pics of German Shepherds, but there has to be some cat lovers here as well, right? The black one is named Jack-Jack, he is full of curiosity and loves the whole wide world! He loves cuddles and is such a sweet boy. The fluffy orange and white one is Rigby, he is more timid than Jack, but is an absolute sweetheart. He loves to give kisses and has quite the big mouth! He is always meowing at us for something. They both just turned a year old in March.

Hopefully the photos load, fingers crossed.

New Member With Questions-img_5689.jpg

New Member With Questions-rigby.jpg

New Member With Questions-img_8056.jpg

New Member With Questions-img_8065.jpg

New Member With Questions-img_8086.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I moved you to finding the right puppy. I think this forum will work for what you are asking.

ADMIN Lisa

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:24 PM

Such cute cats!

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Cute cats.

As far as is a GSD right for you? I think they are right for anyone who truly wants a dog. Not an ornament, or a toy, or a status symbol but a dog. I think that people who are willing to work and learn and listen do just fine with them. I have seen people work 10 hours a day, live in city apartments on limited budgets raise them to be happy, healthy, well behaved companions, I have seen people on farms, with tons of money who work from home raise disasters that end up abandoned or surrendered or worse.
These dogs need dedicated owners who are willing to sacrifice sleeping in, staying out of the weather, wearing hair free clothes, bathing alone and being lazy. Puppies bite and chase and attack and chew. They pee on rugs, puke in your lap and steal your underwear. They take a long time to grow up and they required a sense of humor.
tc68, Jax08, dogfaeries and 7 others like this.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:37 PM

I love cats too, we had a 17 year old one that just died in Dec 2017, but I think you have to be aware that GSD's are typically not cuddly. I know there are exceptions, but I'm on my 4th and it holds true for every one I've had. They'll come up to you, and want to be petted or have their scratched, but then they're done and they go back to doing their job which is watching out for the humans they love and the house and property they live in. So if you're looking for a real dog that you can be very active with and that will protect you and your family, GSD is a good fit. If you go ahead with it, I think the first thing I'd work on with a puppy is leaving the cats alone. They grow fast and very big and very big teeth and it can get out of hand very quickly if not worked on from day one. Good luck with your decision
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

Hello there!
I read your post and have been thinking about it, and after some thought I decided the answer is, if you think a German Shepherd is a fit for you, then a German Shepherd is a fit for you.

Given the fact that you have been reading the forum for years, I am sure you know everything that is involved, and that you don’t really have a wonderful dog for the first couple of years. First you have a land shark, then you have a Butthead teenager, then you have a young dog who needs to figure out that he does not rule the house. After that, you might still not have a wonderful dog, if you did not put in all the training and shape his behavior to what you want, not to mention that you have to get a dog with the right temperament in the first place.

As a fellow cat owner, I have to say that my first cat, who was 14 when I brought eight-week-old Hans home, never liked him, never accepted him, even though the poor dog whined and cried because he really wanted to be friends with the cat! I did ask the breeder for a dog who would not chase the cat and may eventually befriend him, and she did grant my request, however, that cat had other ideas. Disliked Hans until the day he died.

So, if you already have two cats that you adore and who are the center of your universe, do keep in mind that the dynamic in the house will change, and sometimes not for the better. Dogs are highly attention seeking animals, and the cats may just decide to stay away from the dog, and from you, since the German Shepherd will always be exactly where you are, literally.
If you do decide you have to have a GSD in your life, don’t just go to any old backyard breeder and get one, no matter how tempting. Do your research, ask the breeder questions, and introduce extremely carefully, making sure to never, ever, let the puppy chase or harass the cats.

Knowing nothing else about you, that is all I can address, for now.
Good luck in your pursuit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Another cat lover here, WAVES. Yours are both too precious.

You don't say if you or your husband have ever had dogs before or understand how to shape and mold their behavior

but that may be something you want to learn.

GSD's are without a doubt the smartest dog on 4 legs. If you enjoy teaching and learning how to train and getting a

relationship with a highly intelligent critter, you will adore a GSD. Extra points for you if you like to hike or are

athletic. GSD's will open up a whole new world for you.

As far as the cats, my 2 rescues came home w/ me at 1-2 yrs. old. Both needed training on leaving the cats alone.

It's natural for the dog to want to play or chase small animals or even large animals also. My horses were an attraction

to my recent rescue and we trained daily what was and was not allowed. Same w/ kitties. We did leash work in the

house with the kitties and dog for appx. a week before the dogs were 'safe' around the kitties. Hopefully your kitties

still have their claws as sometimes my oldster kitty may slap my shepherd if she rushed too close or acts too rough.

Don't get your puppy til someone in your household can plan to have lots of time to work with the puppy. I didn't

want a puppy for many reasons, but a youngish dog suited me better.

It's a major commitment to get a puppy or a young one and only you can tell when you're ready.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

Gorgeous kitties!

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

@Sabis mom
Thank you for the reply. You've outlined exactly what I am looking for, a dog that can be my partner. Not an ornament, or a couch potato or status symbol or what have you. For the longest time I've wanted a dog that is excited to learn and work, one that is driven and bonded closely to me. I've researched many other breeds and after stumbling upon this forum, quickly realized a GSD is exactly what I wanted. I'm not new to the antics of a puppy, so I know what you are saying is absolutely true!
Sabis mom likes this.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

@wolfebergk9
Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page