Frustrated - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Frustrated

Frustrated or disappointed...not sure which applies, probably both!

As I've previously mentioned in another of my threads, I have a deposit for my next girl. I was #4 for a female. Well, the breeder just contacted me and informed me that only 3 females were born from 2 litters. So I lose out this time around She is expecting another litter or 2 during the summer, but no way can I go without for the summer months. Bad enough I've been with out for the last 2 months, but to have to wait until the end of the summer isn't something I want to go through. She did mention that she has plans in the works to import GSD pups next month and she states she has experience getting pups from this overseas breeder in the past. At face value...I'm not sure if I should proceed with this option since I know nothing about getting an imported pup. Meaning pros and cons.

Meanwhile, I've started searching again. I've reached out to a few breeders and heard back from 2. One is in Indiana, that is listed at 'PuppySpot'. 1st thought is I'm not going through what I did with Marley so naturally I'm hesitant with buying over the web. However, PuppySpot does have some impressive credentials (IMO) and backs the health for 10 yrs. Price is acceptable @ $2400 and includes shipping to here in CT. Based on the pics I've received and reviewing the contract, I'm interested. But... ??

Next is a breeder from Ma, just outside of Boston. He has a 10 week old Black/Tan female with her pedigree history. This breeder has some impressive reviews on Facebook if they're sincere. Plus this breeder needs to interview me in person and would travel to my home with the pup, not that I couldn't drive there. If I meet his criteria, which I'm confident I'll exceed, he'll leave the pup with me after payment...which is the only negative...$4K GULP!! I was hoping to keep the price at $2500 max.

Before I continue to ramble on and on, I'll stop here. If any of you have any suggestions or comments by all means let me hear them. You folks have helped me avoid problems in the past and hoping for some words of wisdom again. One thing I will stress...I don't want to make a decision based on emotions, but it seems that I'm heading there again. There are a boatload of BYB's out there which I want no part of. But finding a reputable breeder within driving distance from CT seems to be challenging so far.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Now that I've read some more reviews about the Boston area breeder, having 2nd thoughts. Think I'll pass on him now.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

I'm sure you've told us what you were looking for in a pup. One question I have is Why female? the other would be What do you intend to do with the pup - sport for fun or competition - general obedience competition for fun - What's the dog's job going to be besides "hang out"?

So far with pups I've been lucky as the right pup was available at the right time even when I was prepared to wait several months. I have no idea what I'll do or how it will work out when the time comes for the next pup. So basically not much help.

And Why does it have to be within driving distance of CT? I've flown out to get a pup and flown her back. I've driven 1000 miles to get a pup. My experience with CT = driving distance = not very far at all. So look further maybe?

I would caution you 'though to not let the time factor push your decision - ie try not to start feeling desperate. Look until you find the pup that feels right.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 04-11-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: adding more brilliant thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Master Member

Sorry about the run around you are getting, that can be super frustrating. I just went through the puppy buying process and it can be a lot to filter through everything and find a breeder that meets your needs.

What exactly are you looking for in a GSD? If you let us know what you're wanting, members here may be able to suggest kennels that fit.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Hard to put in words other than after having 3 girls, I find their personality to be more fitting to my tastes. A friend had a male, so I somewhat know about the male side. But in all honesty, my heart is with a female and that's what I want at this time. When the time comes to add the 2nd dog that I so much want as well, that one will be a male. I say that because I don't want to say that I outright don't want a male, just not at this time.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

@middleofnowhere

I overlooked a question you had...my intentions for a GSD, like my previous girls is companion, security alarm and alarm clock seeing the progress of my training results, keeps me active, etc. There something mystical about a female GSD for me and nothing can take its place. Again...hard to put in words, but for sure one could say I'm addicted to the breed.

As for travel...not really interested in flying anymore. I drove 5+ hrs to PA for Marley, so I can handle reasonable amount of driving. Plus after spending a serious amount trying to save Marley, my funds are limited.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

What happened to all the breeders I've suggested for you?
gsdoglife likes this.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I have to head out for awhile, so I'll return later. But there is one thing that I'm really most concerned with and that is the pups health. I realize nothing in life is guaranteed, but is asking for a healthy pup that can be reasonably verified, asking that Much? It seems to me several of these people want you to take there word for it, which is not enough for me.

Or it could be that I'm paranoid after Marley's ordeal?
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGSD View Post
One is in Indiana, that is listed at 'PuppySpot'. 1st thought is I'm not going through what I did with Marley so naturally I'm hesitant with buying over the web. However, PuppySpot does have some impressive credentials (IMO) and backs the health for 10 yrs. Price is acceptable @ $2400 and includes shipping to here in CT. Based on the pics I've received and reviewing the contract, I'm interested. But... ??

NO, NO PLEASE....... NOT PUPPY SPOT!!!!!!!

Please see this thread about PuppySpot: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...y-puppy-2.html

Contact the breeder's that Jax08 suggested.

Mom's

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 04-11-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGSD View Post
Frustrated or disappointed...not sure which applies, probably both!...
...Before I continue to ramble on and on, I'll stop here. If any of you have any suggestions or comments by all means let me hear them. You folks have helped me avoid problems in the past and hoping for some words of wisdom again. One thing I will stress...I don't want to make a decision based on emotions, but it seems that I'm heading there again. There are a boatload of BYB's out there which I want no part of. But finding a reputable breeder within driving distance from CT seems to be challenging so far.
Thanks in advance!
What type of GSD are you looking for? Working or show lines? I wouldn't lock myself into a time frame because that is going to severely limit your options and increase the odds that you don't get what you want. You said you wanted a healthy female pup. Can you describe some other specific traits that you would like to see in your next dog? What are your goals for the dog? Jax8 wrote something about a list of breeders. Who are they. You should look for someone who is knowledgeable about the dogs they are breeding and also have some experience in training dogs IMO. You should be able to get a quality pup for $2,500. Then you have to consider what pick you get. There will be pups that are better or meet your expectations more than others. Being in a hurry and getting in on a litter at the last minute is likely going to decrease your chances of getting what you want. With my last dog, I had a deposit down before the parents were even bred. It sounds like you need to do a lot more narrowing down of the type of dog you want and more research on who is most likely to be able to meet your wants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page