Working Line vs Show Line Puppy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM

Find a reputable breeder and ask them about their dogs. In my experience WGWL generally have a higher drive and are more challenging for a first time GSD owner. A WGSL is softer and a better choice IMO. I had a WGSL that was just about perfect. She was my shadow and pretty easy going but would've died to protect me. She was an excellent companion. I currently have a year old pup that is a mix of the two lines and he too is just about perfect IMO. In fact, he's far easier to be around than my American SL female who is a hyper girl that doesn't care about pleasing you and would be useless for protection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
It depends. I want to say a show line would be better for you because it doesn't sound like you want to "work" the dog. Its completely okay to not want to do sports or bite work, but understand a working line GSD will need some type of outlet/stimulation. Even a show line probably will, but less so. You also have no idea if either dog from either lines will end up being protective, all dogs are different. I will also specify, different working lines act different. For example, West German Working Lines or Czech typically have more prey drive and higher energy levels which makes them ideal for sport work. It is common that East German/DDR working lines have a higher defense drive and less working drive, some are more calm in the house. Show lines in my opinion can be anything and you just wont know what you'll be getting unless you know the dam and sire well. You could make an educated guess off of the parents. Im going to say a laid back pup from an East German working line litter could be a good fit for you as they have natural defense drive and tend to be less wired. I have a WGWL/Czech pup who can go all day without a break and loves to work but is also quite friendly to other dogs and people. While he looks like a demon, he probably wouldn't attack someone coming to my house if I am being completely realistic. He is also only 8mo old so its a bit early to tell and the defense drives could kick in as he matures.
I would tend to agree that a given SL dog might on average be a better bet for OP. But I'd throw in two caveats.

The first is the caution to not discount the energy and need for exercise (mental and physical) of a show line.

The second is that the OP should be very careful to find a breeder who emphasizes sound temperament. Talk to owners - not just owner references the breeder gives you, but owners in general - if you can, and ask a lot of questions about what it's like to live with the dogs. Where do/can their dogs go, what have they (the owners) found challenging with training and raising the puppies, the off switch GypsyGhost mentioned, what are their most and least favorite things about their dogs. All the questions. Even dogs who all have great temperament can vary across kennels with respect to the particulars, so you're looking for a dog with good temperament who is likely to be a good match.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

Worry less about lines and more about dogs. Get out to some dog events, talk to people, pay attention to the dogs. My WL male was slow to mature but pretty laid back around other animals, no issues with other dogs, safe to take out in public but really territorial at home and always protective of me. High energy? Yes but controlled. Relentless, fearless, tireless. But go lay down and he would.
I have seen dogs from all lines that I would not have in my house if you paid me, and I suck as an owner. I happily encourage idiocy and misbehavior. Couch vaulting is an event around me, so imagine a dog I wouldn't live with. Before you narrow anything down to this line or that line get to know some breeders and their dogs and find someone you can trust because you will be living with this animal for a very long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Edited to add you can out train genetics which is why communication with a reputable breeder is important as well as getting feedback from others about the typical dogs produced by said breeder (IPO club is a great place to start even if you are not going to participate). But a stable dog without a genetic nerve problem can definitely live the active family pet life.
I'm quoting myself due to an annoying auto correct that turned my sentence into a false one lol. I meant to say you CAN'T out train genetics
huntergreen likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post

I have seen dogs from all lines that I would not have in my house if you paid me, and I suck as an owner. I happily encourage idiocy and misbehavior. Couch vaulting is an event around me, so imagine a dog I wouldn't live with.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I swear you are my spirit animal, LOL. This is so me.
Sabis mom and Katsugsd like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Worry less about lines and more about dogs. Get out to some dog events, talk to people, pay attention to the dogs.

Go see lots of dogs. There's a giant, GIANT spectrum of different types within the breed.

I have two right now who couldn't be more different as far as pedigree is concerned, but in both cases I knew what I was buying because I observed a lot of dogs leading up to the purchase.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I swear you are my spirit animal, LOL. This is so me.
Perfect! If I drop dead tomorrow I am shipping the crazy one to you, lol.

Seriously though, one of the truths I have discovered in life is that there is just no replacement for good, stupid fun. Dogs get that, and people should to. Sometimes the best cure for a bad day is zoomies.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Perfect! If I drop dead tomorrow I am shipping the crazy one to you, lol.

Seriously though, one of the truths I have discovered in life is that there is just no replacement for good, stupid fun. Dogs get that, and people should to. Sometimes the best cure for a bad day is zoomies.
This is both funny and SOO true! I cringe internally when folks ask how to get their puppy to settle in the house in the evening. I always think to myself "why would you want to?" Late evening zoomies are an event to look forward to for me, I miss it now that my dog is older (it still happens at times, but it used to be a nightly event!) and so much fun!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Max is four years old now. He will get the zoomies well into his double digits no doubt lol! Just small clips of The late night contained zoomies and early morning gsd love. he is actually jumping over my son in a fold up bed onto the couch- best ways to get you wide awake. Lol!
https://instagram.com/p/Bqv3CYjjwxh/

https://instagram.com/p/BlIe5h_hLF4/
huntergreen likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-27-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I didnt expect this much response! I'm visiting a working line breeder this Saturday and will ask him about his dogs temperaments. The guys seems to be a good breeder from what I can gather so far. I just really like how a working line looks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page