Is a GSD right for me? Or a mix? Shelter/breeder? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
You do seem very on top of it, and committed!!

We adopted a middle-aged dog and these are the advantages I've enjoyed (vs getting a young pup)...
- he came housebroken, can easily hold it for 5-6 hours and could probably easily go from 8:30am -5:30am (although I've never tested him, as I work from home).
- he is nondestructive, doesn't chew stuff, we did not have to deal with a bitey phase
- didn't have to get up in middle of night. we are able to go to bed at 10:30 and get up at 7, no issues - we feel just fine and rested like normal
- from day 1 we could bring him for long hikes or go jogging with him
- his personality was set. I observed that he rarely barked, had a relaxed manner in the home, aloof towards strangers ... and that is exactly how he has been so far
- he already had some training. (For example his "Drop It!" is amazing, it's instant and 100%. I don't know who taught him, but kudos to them...)

That said, the young pups are so CUTE and so FUN.
It may be worth the pain. :-)

Haha, ohhh, yes.... all of those were on my list when I was shopping for a senior dog! Eventually have really decided that getting a GSD is okay. I've been so stuck on adopt-don't-shop, but these dogs are just so incredible. I suppose the adult vs puppy thing, I could go either way... just depends on how it all turns out. We shall see. But man, I am secretly hoping for that puppy, let me tell ya!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Fields View Post
Haha, ohhh, yes.... all of those were on my list when I was shopping for a senior dog! Eventually have really decided that getting a GSD is okay. I've been so stuck on adopt-don't-shop, but these dogs are just so incredible. I suppose the adult vs puppy thing, I could go either way... just depends on how it all turns out. We shall see. But man, I am secretly hoping for that puppy, let me tell ya!

What I personally believe is adopt or buy responsibly. Because responsible breeders aren't adding to all the homeless dogs in shelters or are barely adding to it.

Along with that I think far more dogs end up in shelters because they go to people who don't know how to handle them or end up with a breed/traits that aren't compatible.

We have dog breeds for a reason so don't feel bad for getting a puppy! And the fun thing is throughout your life you can adopt and shop! They aren't exclusive.
Judy Untamed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page