Puppy age - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Three out of 4 of my GSDs have been in the 14-16 weeks age range when I got them. As stated earlier, there are many reasons why a breeder may still have a pup at that age and it most likely does not indicate a problem with the dog. The one caveat that I would look for with an older pup is whether or not the pup has been socialized. The critical age for puppy socialization is from 8-16 weeks, so if nothing has been done toward this, it could be a problem for you later on depending on the temperament of the pup. Of the three older pups I've had, one was not socialized and was in a situation at the breeder's where there were about a dozen pups his age, plus a bunch of yappy little dogs. Food was available in common bowls and I suspect there was a good bit of competition for it. My pup was a very high drive male, who had a lot of fear aggression when he got older. He would bite for real! We worked through it, but in retrospect, I think had I gotten him at 8 weeks instead of 14, and socialized him, things could have been much different. The other two older pups were from reputable breeders who had introduced the pups to many other people and animals. They also started some basic obedience and crate training with the pups. Both of these dogs were great puppies and are fantastic adults. (You can see them in my profile pic.)
MrGSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

The breeder is in NY? Can you please PM me the info?
Sabis mom likes this.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

@techinstructor...again great info, thanks! That 8-16 week period is something I am very much looking forward to again as I agree its the most critical time to correct bad habits before they become ingrained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Well a big kudos and thanks to @Sabis mom and her comments which triggered my thinking, I have decided to pass on this breeder now. A little detective work goes a long ways. I'll just leave it at that.

Thank you everyone for the comments as I will be sure to keep every last one in the front of my mind during my search

Best to let this thread die off now.

Cheers!!
vomlittlehaus and Sabis mom like this.

Last edited by MrGSD; 02-18-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page