Working Line puppy with cats? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Working Line puppy with cats?

Would a working line puppy be a bad idea in a house with cats due to high prey drive? I know no guarantees can be made, but wondering what the general opinion is. Obviously training and an outlet through activities play a huge part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

You can manage this.
I have not been able to get Hans to stop chasing the cat, but he gets corrected, and the cat runs away and doesn't get hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 PM

I have three cats and a working line 10month old GSD. Just expose your puppy while it's young. Bella still annoys my cats but she's never hurt them. She's a bit obsessed with my orange cat which never comes out. We are working on her leaving them alone. I think if your puppy grows up with cats, it'll be fine. No promises though. Every dog is different. Just make sure to make it clear the cats are to be respected.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Devan

Bella Von Sanders - Sable GSD - 04-21-12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mocha, Josie, & Siri - three VERY spoiled house cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

It is really a crap shoot...I have dogs who are fine with cats and have been raised with them...got a new kitten and she thinks Csabre is her mother I think! Some pups will chase because the cat runs, but when the cat could care less, game never starts...I don't think it is bloodline or family specific...it either is or isn't a problem. No way to tell until you try.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgray View Post
She's a bit obsessed with my orange cat which never comes out.

Thats funny because my GSD tries daily to make my orange cat like her...it hasn't worked in the last year and I just don't have the heart to tell her it probably never will. She's got 4 others that love her.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Thats funny because my GSD tries daily to make my orange cat like her...it hasn't worked in the last year and I just don't have the heart to tell her it probably never will. She's got 4 others that love her.
That is funny! Lol
I think Bella is crazy about her because she doesnt come out very often, and when she does she runs away from Bella immediately. Our two other cats tolerate her. My 8 year old Siamese cat chases Bella LOL. She does not play well with others. And our youngest cat cries when Bella comes around, but she's being dramatic. I think one day they'll be best friends.

Devan

Bella Von Sanders - Sable GSD - 04-21-12

Mocha, Josie, & Siri - three VERY spoiled house cats
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

I have 2 cats and 2 GSD's.. my male is fine with my MC cat but wants to chase my sisters docile 10 year old cat.. go figure.

My female is good with both cats and likes to play with my MC like my male dog does as well..

Both cats are dog savvy and have lots of "get-away" places.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM

My dogs will sometimes mess with the cats or rather playfully, Sam has been tormenting our one cat as of lately by almost pouncing on him, has never aggressively bit or attacked the cats, just herding moreso. I have to tell him when he starts to get rough otherwise.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all, good info
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 AM
Knighted Member

My WGSL/Czech WL mix killed on of my cats last spring, when he was about 3.5 years old. Although he had chased the cats before in play, I don't know what happened this time as we were obviously not home. Did my skittish little female cat just not run fast enough?

He was a dog that had had lifelong fear aggression and human aggression issues. But he had been raised since a puppy with my household animals and had NEVER shown aggression towards them before this. Did his other issues play in? Could of, definitely. Or could of been the fact that he was a high prey drive dog.

People obviously have dogs on here with cats that do just fine. Me personally, I've sadly lost trust in ALL dogs being left alone with cats. Simply because I like to think I know my dogs pretty well, and animal aggression to this extent was something I never saw in EITHER of them until that day. After that day, all his aggression issues got worse, he destroyed my rat cage trying to kill them (luckily they hid under a bookshelf), and he went after my other cat twice in one week.

I am getting a WL pup here in 2 weeks. He will be crated. When he gets older, he will either still be crated, or locked away in a separate room from my cat whenever left alone. When we had a husky in the past, a breed KNOWN for high prey drive, he was always crated and never trusted alone with the animals.

They can coexist just fine. But you as the owner sometimes just need to make sure accidents can't happen. BTW, Luther was really unable to be crated, as he had stress colitis and would have diarrhea in his crate, and then would sit in it and develop severe hot spots. Overall, he was sadly just a genetic mess. Maybe not the best example for this case, but that's simply my story about dogs and cats.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page