Toy Drive vs Food Drive-Difference? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Toy Drive vs Food Drive-Difference?

So I am going to be fostering a female pup for a few months. there are 2 to choose from. One pup has a major toy/ball drive and there is also food drive present- the other pup has more of a food drive not so much on the toy/ball drive.

My question is- What is the difference between the drives as far as trainability and later personality/temperment? Or is there one?

The ideal end result wanted for this dog is confidence, protection, and good with children.

Just curious on some opinions if there is a difference. Thanks!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I prefer a dog that has both, but I would rather work a dog with high food drive and low toy drive than the opposite. It is far easier to mold behaviors in obedience and tracking with food than with toys. Also, I have found that the desire to play with toys can be developed.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I prefer a dog that has both, but I would rather work a dog with high food drive and low toy drive than the opposite. It is far easier to mold behaviors in obedience and tracking with food than with toys. Also, I have found that the desire to play with toys can be developed.

Good to know- thank you!!! my current dog has no real toy drive OR food drive - i just don't get that eye contact that Schutzhund dogs get during their OB- she heals well enough- just no eye contact. I will keep you updated on the new pup as she matures- find out Friday which one I will be getting

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I would want BOTH if I had a choice! They are both such valuable training tools!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The one (currently referred to as white paw) has both, though her ball drive is more than her food drive at this point. The other one didn't really seem to have the toy drive that I could see Sunday. Taking Friday off to go out there and decide between the 2 for fostering- Pretty sure I will end up with white paw- she is the one pup in the litter that has consistently singled me out, I have been saying "she is trying to pick me" lol- I must try to not get TOO attached to her though- if that is even possible

I know some people think that is ridiculous (that the dog picks you) but all of my dogs have picked me and I have had some really awesome dogs

Wendy
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page