Puppies going home younger & younger...? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question Puppies going home younger & younger...?

Is it just me?.....or does there seem to be more posters stating that they are "picking up" or "received" their puppy at 5 & 6 wks old?...even a post I've read...said the "breeder" offered to let them take a puppy home at just over 4 wks old??
I can understand "special" circumstances...*deceased mother, shelter litter, abandoned litter etc..etc..* but most of these threads/posts are from buyers/owners of puppies from "breeders", who are letting puppies leave under normal practices.....?!

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

Gunnar was a rescue and the entire litter was dropped off at a shelter at 5 weeks, but we weren't allowed to even look at the puppies until 8 weeks.

I seem to recall someone saying, in a different thread, that there were laws that dictated when a puppy could be "sold".
I'm guessing that it varies by State, but IMO, it seems too young. 8 weeks seems to be the minimum age to take a puppy away from the litter.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

This has always been quite common with BYBs (including unplanned litters). I think what's happening is that a lot more people are joining the forum so now we're hearing about it.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

AKA puppy producers.

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
This has always been quite common with BYBs (including unplanned litters). I think what's happening is that a lot more people are joining the forum so now we're hearing about it.
I think this is correct. The number of newbies joining the forum has increased exponentially, therefore you're getting more people who didn't know better and got their pup too young.

I can tell you something else: after dealing with an 8-week old fuzzygator who had to go out a couple of times per night, cried constantly, and pee'ed in the house every 10 minutes even when tethered to my side, there's no way in Hades I'd want one at 5 or 6 weeks.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

Last edited by Emoore; 02-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

It's ten weeks for us and not a day sooner. Sorry to say it but some lesser serious breeders think more of saving on expenses than the welfare of their puppies. I really don't want to go in to the merits of puppies going home at a later age. I do certainly agree that there are some breeders that send the puppies away much too early.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

I think "breeders" send their puppies home earlier and earlier because the fun of having babies and watching them grow up stops about the time that mom decides she is no longer the maid and won't clean up after them.
As soon as that happens and the "breeder" realizes they now have to clean up puppy messes all day long and feed them and listen to them whine and be puppies is the time to get rid of them.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I think this is correct. The number of newbies joining the forum has increased exponentially, therefore you're getting more people who didn't know better and got their pup too young.

I can tell you something else: after dealing with an 8-week old fuzzygator who had to go out a couple of times per night, cried constantly, and pee'ed in the house every 10 minutes even when tethered to my side, there's no way in Hades I'd want one at 5 or 6 weeks.
I totally agree. I got Jamie at 9 wks. old and I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I got her at 5-6 wks. It is hard enough going through puppyhood why would you want to make it even harder by getting one so young. I went through he** when I got my min pins when they were 6 wks. old. I had two 6 wk old puppies at the same time and believe me I will NEVER do that again. I learned my lesson the hard way. This time when I went for a puppy I wanted 8 wks or older. Jamie has been one of the best puppies I have ever had the priviledge of owning.

Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Elite Member

I got Otto at 8 weeks and he is going to be a year old in a couple of days!!! Enzo my new baby is 11 weeks when I picked him up.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

But, it is not just newbies. Glancing through, seeing pups from breeders and going to experienced homes at 7 weeks. Eating food at a little over 2 weeks?

Not good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page