Training question/Indianapolis - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Training question/Indianapolis

I am looking for training classes for my 3 mos old GSD. Is it ok to participate in a class? I don’t know if I can afford a personal trainer; but I really don’t know because I haven’t done anything like this before. Any advice or tips? I found this training place called Upton Famous Dog Training Center that’s about 10 minutes down the road.
https://www.uptonsk9trainingcenter.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 PM
Master Member

Visit the place, since it's so close. Maybe ask if you can sit in on any beginner's session if available. Then you can see if you like or don't like their methods. If you're not sure, visit a few other training places.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The instructors I know in the Indy area I am pretty sure only do privates, but you could contact them and see what they might suggest.

Marla Stickel at Radical K9 https://www.facebook.com/RadicalK9/

Christina O'Kane at Epiphany Canine https://www.facebook.com/Epiphanycanine/

I am north of Bloomington, but also only do privates at this time.
Jax08 likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Knighted Member

Perhaps my own personal bias here, but for me a puppy of 3 months old is too young to benefit greatly from a group class. At that age I prefer to work one-on-one with the puppy with little or no distraction. Use treats to lure the puppy to perform basic stuff, sit, down, come...etc.

Keep it short and fun, "structured playtime" is how I like to think of it... The main goal at that age, from my perspective anyway, is to bond with the puppy through play, encourage him to follow you, firm up potty training, etc., more formal training can come later...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Crowned Member

Marla and Christina are really good.

As far as group classes, it would depend on the structure of the class. You can learn alot by watching others and it's a great opportunity to work on focus and engagement. At this age, its really basic and more socialization than anything.
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 AM

I go to Upton's. I have 3 German Shepherds. One goes on Wed. for protection,
one goes on Fri for off leash training. They have private and group lessons.
Mon. night and Sat. morning are group...they are fun!! I'm taking my puppy
there to socialize the little monster on some Saturdays. Usually I rotate them
on Sats. Go past and talk to Paul or Mike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM

I'm not sure about that place but my most recent experience with a group class was, they won't remove a dog aggressive dog. And at such a young age a dog lunging and barking at them can set you back with your pup.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for the information!! My Lola Bear is a very loving, friendly almost sensitive girl. She may be too young right now and I don’t want to set her back. I’ll continue to work on the basics and start planning and saving for more training later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page