Finally found a good class for my dog! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Finally found a good class for my dog!

I have been searching for some time now for a group class that would be a good fit for my dog and I, because I think it would be a good experience for her to work in an enclosed space with other people and dogs around. But, as I've mentioned in other threads, all the "trainers" I've contacted refused to let me come and observe a class prior to signing up.

So I decided to keep searching. A couple weeks ago I spoke at length with Brian Bergford of Altitude Dog Training. Great guy, great reviews, author of several books on training. But he didn't have a group class (advanced obedience) running or scheduled currently, so he happily recommended others. One of them, the most economical, was the local Humane Society.

Skeptically I gave them a call...and came away very pleasantly surprised! Their classes are very reasonably priced, their trainers have impressive experience, and they offer a HUGE variety in terms of options to fit their client's needs. I spoke with the trainer of what they call their ACES + class this morning, and she was happy to add me to their mailing list so I could come and observe them in action! Today was "supposed" to be the day for me to go see what their program is all about, but since it is a drop-in class they don't have it unless they get 4-5 confirmed attendees, and today they didn't...

But I'm excited to observe a class and get started! Just have to teach Nyx a "place" command this week in preparation... Didn't really have a need before, but they use it in class so I do now!

Anyone else take their dog to their local HS for obedience training? We're you happy with the result?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

Just use her down stay.
sit,stay, Slamdunc, Jax08 and 2 others like this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:43 PM

That's great, Tim.

I haven't used the Humane Society but I learned when I adopted Heidi last month that the county shelter (where I got

her) has an Obedience Class once a week on Sat. mornings- drop in and free. They said they want to promote all their

to attend to eleminate returned dogs. I thought it was a great idea. Keep us posted when you do go.

PS/ Can you tell me what teaching "place" means? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 04:39 PM

When I used to live in a large city the HM society had programs like that.Several of the local trainers participated.Enjoy your class!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphan Heidi View Post
PS/ Can you tell me what teaching "place" means? Thanks.
My understanding is that "place" is taught to mean go to a specific spot and remain there until released. Most of the time, from what I've seen, a mat or a dog bed is used. And the dog can sit or lay down or stand, it doesn't matter as long as they remain on the spot indicated.

We started on it today...always fun to have something new to teach!
Coleen and Orphan Heidi like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 PM
Master Member

I have a funny story about “Place”. I signed up for group K9 manners with Rumo and they sent me a big long email to confirm, which of course I didn’t read. The night before class, I opened it and read it and it said to bring a baggie of treats and a lightweight portable mat to carry under your arm, for training Place.

I was like, whoops! What can I use? I grabbed our bathMat, loaded Rumo and ran to class. Every week we trained Place with the bathMat.
When the class ended, I put the bathMat back in our bathroom.

Now every night when I brush my teeth, Rumo walks in and lies down on the bathMat!!
He is like, “ I remember that she was happy when I did this...this feels right...”
Sometimes he falls asleep there. I think it’s funny that he still thinks he is supposed to lie there...

I am sure you and Nix will be at the top of your class!! You will probably be giving training demos...:-)
Coleen and tim_s_adams like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

For our "place" training today I used a blanket that I used to use in the car to help keep the seat clean when Nyx got muddy or wet. Anyway, to keep her from getting the idea that it meant a specific spot, I moved the blanket to different spots around the house. To be fair, she doesn't yet truly get it. But her down and or sit stay are impeccable, so once in "place" I could walk away for several minutes, totally out of sight, and she'd remain where she was...but that really isn't the correct concept! We'll keep working though...today she stayed in whatever position I left her in until released...gotta figure out how to let her know that changing positions, while staying on the blanket is okay...I love teaching new things, it tires both of is out so we sleep better

Tim
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Crowned Member

I use "mat" instead of place, and I teach it so it means two different things depending on where we are. Tim this may help you out. If I say it at home it means go to the mat by the door and remain there. If I say it while travelling or attending something it refers to a blanket/towel/jacket that I then drop on the ground and I want them to stay with it.
Glad you found a class you like, someday I will have a dog that I can do stuff with. Then I guess I will have to take classes since I promised Carmen I would put an obedience title on my next one.
tim_s_adams and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:56 AM

I used old bed pillows for these exercises. I'd say Pillow and both of my dogs would lay on one to get a treat. Then I got a new toy and called it Piccolo. We have a larger version we called flute. I told the dogs to "go find Piccolo" and they went to their pillows! Guess that name for a toy didn't work.

In the class I took my gal-dog to, they provided raised platforms. They use the platforms for a number of things. I'd think a mat of some sort could be very handy for travel. No matter where you go you can have your "placemat".

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 AM
Crowned Member

I remember place or I use spot was the first thing we learned in class then focus exercises. I used a bathroom mat it rolled up and resembled a rug. Place can come in handy. If -not if -but when max is begging to much at the table I tell him to go to his spot.
Bring good treats. In the beginning I would bring dog treats- to max’s class then made it more fun with cut up mozzarella sticks, chicken, hotdogs, pieces of Stella’s dehydrated beef patties.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page