Finally found a good class for my dog! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
@Katsugsd can you share what in hindsight you would have changed when the heater turned on?
Sorry for getting back to this so late! I wasn't aware the heater was on or off. I came into the room thinking the trial was supposed to be consistent with no variables per team.

Thinking back on it I could have approached the issue a few different ways. It was interior and off leash was allowed - I could have chose this and prevented myself from giving too much influence on her search. I have done a few "stand in one place and have her do an independent search" but only at home. Never in a different environment. It may be worth practicing just in case this comes up again.

The second option was something I thought of from a previous experience earlier that week when we were practicing a vehicle search. Katsu did this sniffing thing then looked back at me (I have shaped alert indicators she uses). When I asked her to "target" she kind of sniffed again in another area and looked back at me as if to say "nothing's here mom." Our instructor interrupted me and said, "a good thing to do when it looks like she can't find anything, is to take her to the start and have her search again."

The second option is what I SHOULD have done given I had her on leash and she was showing me the same signs from our last practice. The hide was about 4 steps to our left. She would have found it if I brought her to the start to try again (it was about 5 steps from the start area.) I can only assume the heater was pushing odor to the other side of the room (where we were) and that's why I had her focus on it.

@WateryTart - thank you for the compliment. I am proud of how she did. I'm surprised they had that many people watching on the vehicle search (I think at least 3 more other than the 4 designated people), but I also didn't know what to expect for a NACSW. A few friends of mine were helping at the trial and told me last week the judge had asked if any of the helpers wanted to spectate vehicle searches. We have two AKC Scentwork trials this weekend. It'll be a new experience with an AKC trial (and I haven't heard too many good things about the Scentwork trials).

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page