Finally found a good class for my dog! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:25 PM
Elite Member

Just my 2cents, but for the class setting, and while you're training the concept, you might want to use one specific matt for the Place command at first. The matt will be easier to lug around and stay neat and in place while in use. I think your "down" command will be perfectly acceptable in class while your working on the "place".

once you succeed, could you share how you taught the concept of place as opposed to the stay and/or the down. The only thing I can think of is using the absence of a correction when she is on the matt and gets up but stays on the matt as opposed to actually coming off the matt that's why I'd love to know how you achieve it.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM
Master Member

Hey, Tim, I work at LHS. I do have to say, I love our trainers. I was expecting them to be a "positive only" crowd when I first started work, but nope! They are really good with animals, very willing to listen and work with each dog individually, and they aren't opposed to training collars to TEACH dogs. They don't use them as a crutch. I have seen them handle some terrifying dogs (meaning dogs with a lot of bites in their past) and been very impressed. Can you PM me which trainer you are actually planning on meeting with? There are a few that run their own classes. Maybe I will see you around.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
Just my 2cents, but for the class setting, and while you're training the concept, you might want to use one specific matt for the Place command at first. The matt will be easier to lug around and stay neat and in place while in use. I think your "down" command will be perfectly acceptable in class while your working on the "place".

once you succeed, could you share how you taught the concept of place as opposed to the stay and/or the down. The only thing I can think of is using the absence of a correction when she is on the matt and gets up but stays on the matt as opposed to actually coming off the matt that's why I'd love to know how you achieve it.
Update: Unfortunately the class has been cancelled each week for the month I've been following it...So I'm less sure now than I was initially! The good news is that Nyx is now pretty solid on the "place" command. And since you asked how I did it, I thought I'd explain a little.

Not too different than you might have envisioned, but I don't think a dog learns much from the absence of a correction. So instead, I preemptively caught her before she could lay down with a positive marker, for her it's "good", then quickly offer a treat/reward. Nyx already was pretty solid on down stay, sit stay, and stand stay, so she still doesn't change position once I've marked it. But at least she seems to get that down is not a requirement...So we're making progress! As time goes on, I'll try to wait her out to see if she really gets the concept of staying on the mat versus staying in whatever position I marked...But so far, I haven't waited long enough...we've practiced long stays too much I guess LOL!
Heartandsoul likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:18 AM
Master Member

Seems like you, Tim, might have plateaued with obedience. You have done great with her, just maintaining now, while you still have bunny work, maybe you could adopt one lol....idk if you have done nose work. I see it mentioned many times in the dog park thread. That isn't my angle other than to say you really seem to like to work your dog....nose work is amazing imo, my dog loves it, can be consumed by it and it is a healthy fulfilling exercise for dog and owner. You can build long tracks it is so impressive to see how long your dog will and can commit to a track. Not that you don't know...I've just not seen you say that you actively work Nxy in nose work.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Update: Unfortunately the class has been cancelled each week for the month I've been following it...So I'm less sure now than I was initially! The good news is that Nyx is now pretty solid on the "place" command. And since you asked how I did it, I thought I'd explain a little.

Not too different than you might have envisioned, but I don't think a dog learns much from the absence of a correction. So instead, I preemptively caught her before she could lay down with a positive marker, for her it's "good", then quickly offer a treat/reward. Nyx already was pretty solid on down stay, sit stay, and stand stay, so she still doesn't change position once I've marked it. But at least she seems to get that down is not a requirement...So we're making progress! As time goes on, I'll try to wait her out to see if she really gets the concept of staying on the mat versus staying in whatever position I marked...But so far, I haven't waited long enough...we've practiced long stays too much I guess LOL!
Thanks for the update. With my guy and in my own mind, the place command serves a purpose in that the dog knows that place specifies a specific item he or she is to get on and not leave no matter the position, but the down and stay or sit and stay were the commands taught first so when I taught the place command he deferred to the down once he was in the place. I never could figure out how to relay to him that it was ok to move though he does reposition while laying down. So it was good enough for me. Lol. (imo that seems like a good way to differentiate what is expected of the place command, as opposed to the down, sit, stay command that indicates "right where you are").

Since you may have an interest in scent work, this is an NACSW link of certified instructors in the US. Search Instructors | NACSW. If you go back to Home, there is a link of vids at different levels. If interested, you may find an instructor/class near you. It's a fun sport and you'll be among many like minded people. And you will probably connect with more experienced handlers, retired K9 officers, etc. Also, a lot of the instructors are also involved with the other scent work sports so if this venue doesn't fit you and your girl, the people you meet will probably know of the other sports/organizations also.

I'm not as social as you but I have a couple of friends who I met through the sport and have a lot of fun practicing with and the huge plus, my guy loves it.

Ok ramble over. Thanks for the insight and update.
car2ner and tim_s_adams like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

@Heartandsoul, I appreciate the link...actually found 2 classes nearby and ordered the birch scent kit this morning!

@apex, in my mind we're nowhere near plateaued on obedience, but thanks for the thought! Her off-leash heel is passable for practical purposes, but not good enough yet for competition by any means! She still creeps a bit at times going into a stand from any other position (gonna build her a box for this), she only spins one direction, doesn't know how to wave or high five, ...always lots more to do!
Heartandsoul likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Elite Member

That's great. Honestly, the sport has help tremendously with my guys DA and for me social connectivity. Tons of extra perks participating in any organized sport.

post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Update: we attended 2 classes. Nyx was a perfect lady, showed no interest at all in the other dogs and maintained great focus. All in all I'm very glad we did it! But I don't think we'll continue since they didn't do or teach anything useful. It was pretty basic stuff - heeling in a ring around the room, downing or sitting out of motion, blind recalls (where the handler is out of sight of the dog), some limited parquor kinds of things (climbing up on various objects), and a little bit of heeling between the legs. Anyway, fun stuff, but nothing new.

I have been introducing Nyx to Nosework this past week and wow is she a natural! Of course I'm an absolute novice so I'm sure I bungled stuff. Like having her find a hidden scent box without having taught her how to show me she found it! I also tried to get her to find multiple hides in a room, which she clearly didn't get. But we're having great fun and learning together, so it's all good.

I bought the "student scent kit" for around 15 dollars with shipping (https://k9nwsource.com/shop/student-starter-kit/ ), but when the package arrived it was not what I'd ordered! No scent at all...it was 5 large scent boxes and 5 smaller ones, in Christmas red and green colors! The vendor told me to just keep them and rushed me my scent kit, which was really nice because the kit only came with 1 scent box, but now I have 11 of them to work with! We've worked mostly indoors so far, but the box that came with the kit has a magnet so we'll be working on vehicle searches next week!

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys again for prodding me to get started with NW, Nyx is really enjoying it!

Tim
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:58 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Update: we attended 2 classes. Nyx was a perfect lady, showed no interest at all in the other dogs and maintained great focus. All in all I'm very glad we did it! But I don't think we'll continue since they didn't do or teach anything useful. It was pretty basic stuff - heeling in a ring around the room, downing or sitting out of motion, blind recalls (where the handler is out of sight of the dog), some limited parquor kinds of things (climbing up on various objects), and a little bit of heeling between the legs. Anyway, fun stuff, but nothing new.

I have been introducing Nyx to Nosework this past week and wow is she a natural! Of course I'm an absolute novice so I'm sure I bungled stuff. Like having her find a hidden scent box without having taught her how to show me she found it! I also tried to get her to find multiple hides in a room, which she clearly didn't get. But we're having great fun and learning together, so it's all good.

I bought the "student scent kit" for around 15 dollars with shipping (https://k9nwsource.com/shop/student-starter-kit/ ), but when the package arrived it was not what I'd ordered! No scent at all...it was 5 large scent boxes and 5 smaller ones, in Christmas red and green colors! The vendor told me to just keep them and rushed me my scent kit, which was really nice because the kit only came with 1 scent box, but now I have 11 of them to work with! We've worked mostly indoors so far, but the box that came with the kit has a magnet so we'll be working on vehicle searches next week!

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys again for prodding me to get started with NW, Nyx is really enjoying it!
Tim, you have an excellent nosework instructor near you by the name of Dana Zinn. Sheís a CO in NACSW, and one of the best there is at that. If you really plan on continuing with this sport, please consider taking classes. The foundation you lay for this sport will determine how much fixing you need to do later. Itís much more fun if you donít have to do much fixing!

Train the dog in front of you.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Gypsyghost. I looked her up, zinndogtraining.com Unfortunately her facility is pretty far from me, but there are 2 certified instructors close by...I contacted both and am awaiting their responses now.

That being said, I might consider doing a drop in session or 2 to get some pointers, but nosework seems pretty straightforward. I watched the videos on the NACSW website, which shows trials at all levels (which is what prompted me to try Nyx out on multiple hides too soon) but I probably wouldn't have the patience to do their classes... Truthfully I can't imagine what they'd do in a class like that for all that time...it probably centers on teaching people how to read their dogs signals and cautions about alerting too quickly, would be my guess...

Do you do NW with your dogs?

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 11-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page