List of things for trainer - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

That info would have helped answer your question .

May be consider longer term board and train? Two weeks will help but sounds like you'll be unable to do much for several weeks. In that time, the two weeks of training won't be followed up on and you will lose the effort.

I would ask the trainer to teach some kind of game thst you can do from a chair to occupy his brain. And really stress a recall game. If you can't go to your puppy then your puppy has to have super high value to come to you.
lhczth, Aly, LeoRose and 2 others like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9584 View Post
Im sending him for training because Im getting knee surgery, from the hours of 9-3pm him and I would be togrther but i would be unable to move so would it be fair for him to sit there looking at me and wondering why im
Not playing with him or working with him? No it wouldnt thats why i prefer he goes to training for 2 weeks, those two weeks will help alot. Im not being lazy & choosing the easy way out. I dont have the ability to train him right now thats why.
See this I can completely understand. I believe that is why everyone wanted more info, it's easy to assume you were doing it expecting a new and easier dog. But life happens and you've got to do what is best for your dog. So I completely understand what you are doing and really respect your effort and dedication to your dog. Thanks for clarifying I agree with Jax, I would ask your trainer to teach him games that you can do with your pup from your chair. Like fetch and him dropping it on your lap or next to you, this way you could wear out his energy and have fun yourself. You could probably look up games for disabled people and their dogs to get ideas. Going through a long amount of time being incapacitated is exhausted both physically and mentally, so having your dog could help keep your spirits up. Plus this is such a crucial bonding time for you both so it'll be good for you to be able to do so. Usually after board and train you are taught how to do the exercises your dog learned with him. I would definitely ask the trainer to work on "off" with your puppy, having surgery and sharp puppy claws it could be bad if he jumped on you excessively. Also, if you happen to have a doggy door so your pup goes outside to potty I would make sure he understands that and to make sure there is nothing in the backyard he could get hold of since you won't be able to run and pry things from his mouth. I would go about your days with your dogs and note anytime you are having to do something with him that would be hard to do while recovering, then you can hopefully find things that will help with your everyday that we may not think of. Just keep in mind even when he gets back he will still be a puppy and around 4 months until 6 months German Shepherd puppies are teething so things may become challenging again around this point.

Good luck!! I wish you a speedy recovery!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:36 PM

I like Jax08’s idea re: games you can play at home while recovering. I don’t know how much you are spending on the board and train, but could you use the $$ to pay a trainer and dog walker/yard cleaner to come to your home? Like have the trainer come for an hour 2x a week to work with you, focusing on stuff you can do at home while you recover?

If you’ll just be in too much pain/too immobile to handle the pup at all, then maybe send for a week and then do the at home games and pay a trainer and walker/cleaner upper to come in? At 14 weeks, 2 weeks will feel to the pup like he has a new home now.

Of course you’ve probably thought about all this already, and your plan is the best that works for you. For 2 weeks board and train, I agree with focusing on recall, and I’d add Sit and Leave It, so you can use them from the couch when pup comes home. Given your situation, I would prioritize those; worry about loose leash walking and other obedience later, unless pup learns those 3 really fast and gets bored. But have the trainer focus on those. My pup learned Leave It at 13 weeks, and it was super useful as he was so curious and getting into everything as a puppy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page