balanced trainer in the DFW area - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

balanced trainer in the DFW area

It seems like i can only find positive only training classes in my area that have the end goal of Rally or OB ring. I am ALL about luring and clicking and treating, and i don't do compulsion training... but sometimes I need to tell my 5.5 mos old puppy NO!
I DID find a guy who does more correction based training, but he has never done any kind of competition so he doesn't have any idea what Rally is or the ob ring.

so looking for trainers, or clubs in the area that meet for training that use a balanced approach....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Crowned Member

Try searching for AKC Kennel Clubs on the AKC website. Most of the AKC obedience people seem to be willing to correct and say no but still use rewards.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I agree with Thecowboygsgirl. If the end-goal is AKC competition events, than AKC club classes are probably the most efficient path, since they'll have a sequence of classes for people doing exactly that (including advanced classes for those working toward their Open & Utility qualifications). They'll probably offer a CGC test early on for the beginners. You'll likely get to know people who will be at the regional events through the classes, so you won't be on your own the first time.

The last AKC club I belonged to concluded their Novice class with a graduation test that was a simulated the Novice Class OB ring event, with a judge scoring you. They trained with a modified Koehler method back then, but it's admittedly been many years since I did that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I didn't see any OB specific clubs , just breed clubs. I did join the ftw GSD club but they dont meet weekly to train and stop altogether in the summer.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

That is what I am looking for, but closer. They are about an hour from me on a good day, 1.5 hours in rush hour traffic. I d only be able to train on the weekends and right now for the rest of the year the only weekend day they train is Sunday, and that is Utility. i might see if they have info on a club closer to me , or with better training hours.

Last edited by griz; 07-23-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

Also, I know our local AKC training club has people that you can hire for private lessons as well. Might be something to ask about if you find one in your area. The prices are much more reasonable than the big box store trainers.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 PM
KMH

I drive 1.5 hours once a week to train. I go to Flint, Tx just outside of Tyler. Caren Cardwell, owner of Interquest and A Dog House in Flint. She is the best trainer I've found; uses treats and toys but has no problem using a firm "no" and snap of the leash. She helped me get my CD this past weekend and offers a nosework class in addition to basic and advanced obedience. Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. If you're interested you can find her on FaceBook.
cliffson1 likes this.

Kristi
K9 Owen Vom Hall Haus CGC, CD, Search & Rescue
K9 Sidney Vom Hall Haus
K9 Dani Vom Hall Haus
K9 Sophie
K9 Penney
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 05:56 PM

Mikotusar Kennels & Aviary is in North Dallas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:51 PM

any trainers in Oklahoma city
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page