Food Aggression Trainer - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Carmspack, I was soaking her food for a while, yes. But it took a while for it to soften and while it did, she wouldn't stop crying and all that. Right now, I've decided to just let her wolf down and choke. Perhaps she will teach herself to slow down. She has already vomitted a couple days ago due to eating too fast. I just tried feeding her dinner and walking away, but watching from a distance; she didn't slow down, but she didn't choke this time, so she wasn't vacuuming her food like she usually does when I'm touching her. I'll continue leaving her alone and see how it goes tomorrow.

Mspiker03, I only managed to train leave it once, to see how well she did on just kibble. So only did it during dinner once and only used her kibble once. I had actually planned to use sausage, but figured she would be even crazier and uncontrollable with something sooooo much better than kibble. And yes, that makes sense.

Which reminds me to ask: How do treat bags work? I mean, don't they get dirty from the treats? Or do you put the treats in a ziplock bag and then into the treat bag?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

If you have a dog other than the one in your picture and it is the breed we are not allowed to talk about here, you need to go to a forum that specializes in that breed. We know a lot here about behavior, but breed differences make a difference in training. If your dog is already showing aggression and is that breed you mentioned, you need more help than we can give you. If the puppy is the one in the picture and is a German Shepherd, that is different. Don't play games it's food. It is teasing the dog and mean.
post #23 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

There are food bowls designed to slow down a dog's eating,

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=321V3IZBLPWRN
voodoolamb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

LuvShepherds, erm no, I don't have any other dog in the house besides this GSD puppy.

Dunkirk, we have tried tennis balls and fists to slow her down, it only made her even more frantic to get the food. I even tried creating a food puzzle using the core of a kitchen towel... She did NOT like it at all...
post #25 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 PM
Crowned Member

Ok, then the rest of what I said is my advice. Don't play with food. I would feed the puppy in the crate with the door closed and latched so your dog feels safe.
carmspack likes this.
post #26 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers View Post
LuvShepherds, erm no, I don't have any other dog in the house besides this GSD puppy.

Dunkirk, we have tried tennis balls and fists to slow her down, it only made her even more frantic to get the food. I even tried creating a food puzzle using the core of a kitchen towel... She did NOT like it at all...
Have you tried scatter feeding?

Just dump the whole bowl on the kitchen floor and spread it out. Slows them waaaaaay down.
post #27 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post

Just dump the whole bowl on the kitchen floor and spread it out. Slows them waaaaaay down.
That is a good idea. It also makes it impossible to be aggressive because they are so busy. I did something similar by putting all the food on a huge cookie sheet in the crate. Then he wasn't scarfing up loose hair from the floor.
post #28 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post

Couldn't the dog then start resource guarding the kitchen floor while there's food on it?
post #29 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post
Couldn't the dog then start resource guarding the kitchen floor while there's food on it?
Less likely. Another way is to split the food up into several bowls around the house and then not touch them. She is guarding the location, which her bowl, as much as the food.

To the OP, why can't your dog take a class? They are not that expensive. Doesn't your husband understand there are expenses when you own a dog? A group class is much less expensive in the long run than fixing serious problems later. What she does now is fixable.
post #30 of 91 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

LuvShepherds, I never play with her food. The only time I touch her food is when she drops them on the floor, so I pick them up and put them back in the bowl. My hubby doesn't want to spread her food on the floor either because he's worried about her thinking that anything dropped on the floor is hers to eat as she lives in the kitchen. As for training classes, I think it's also because he has never sent any dog he previously owned, to classes. I don't think his family has done so with their dogs either. Same goes with my parents, they've never been to classes (and neither have I due to this fact). He also says we can't afford classes atm, both monetary wise and time wise. I'm not able to drive alone and he's constantly at work. So basically, everyone is of the opinion that classes are not necessary. My sister-in-law's dog is completely wild and untrained, if he were not so old and slow right now, I'd probably have met the terror that they've been describing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page