Looking for Madison Wisconsin area trainers or clubs - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

I also live in Wisconsin but SE Wisconsin. Any recommendations between Delavan and Milwaukee? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Administrator

What would you like to train in?

There's a place in Mukwonago that offers a lot of different introductory classes, with instructors that are easy going and welcoming. I've taken agility classes there off and on. Classes are organized, and we were always given printed recap/homework sheets each week to keep the focus on progression. I enjoyed the classes I took there, and I'll probably take my next puppy there for foundation work.

But - I have not taken obedience classes there so I don't know what the approach is, as far as positive/reward/correction/balance. You could ask to observe a class (before you enroll your dog) and I'm pretty sure they would welcome you to do so.

The GSD club is in Big Bend, they primarily offer obedience and conformation at this time. Puppy class is free, and you could attend that and see if it is a good fit for you.

WWCDTC in Ixonia is kinda out of your way, but I like it there. I know they would welcome you to observe classes. Some classes have wait lists, it took me about six months to get into what I wanted, but I don't think that's the case with obedience.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info. I am wanting of course socializing, but I have titled 2 dogs in IPO, it’s been 7 yrs and not looking to do IPO but maybe some personal protection and for sure BH. My main objective is high level obedience. I did observe the gsd club in Big Bend, but was not to thrilled with what I saw. I do alot of my own training but need distractions, I will be going to an IPO club but not like I would if I was wanting to compete.
The place is Mukwonago looks like the one I will check out, very close to home and you can brings toys, or in my case the ball. They also have a TD class which is something I want to do as well as nosework classes. I like to work my dog in drive and some places don’t care for all that type of training in a group setting.
Thank you so much for the info.
Can’t wait to get back to training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Happy to help!

I hope it ends up being a good fit. There are tons of introductory-type courses around Waukesha County, but the places that really focus on higher level performance or prep for competition (obedience, agility, etc) are fewer and farther between.

If Nosework interests you, I'd send a PM to @GypsyGhost. She's involved in that network in SE WI and knows some of the people/groups.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 07:13 AM

Thanks, always open to meeting new people and doing stuff with my pup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page