I don't want to switch foods but... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I don't want to switch foods but...

I don't think I've found the right one yet.

When I first got my puppy the breeder had her on a really low quality food so I switched to Nutro Large Breed Puppy. Her poops were soft, a greenish yellow colour (similar to the food) and not easy to pick up. I then switched to Canidae ALS and her poops were a little firmer, but still not easy to pick up.

She is 5 months old now and this is my 2nd bag of Canidae and I'm not happy with the output. She is not itchy and her coat is nice and shiny. I really don't know if this is a problem with the food, or she just as soft poops. I want to feed her a premium food and before I moved to Canidae I thought of Innova Large Breed Puppy or Orijen Large Breed Puppy (like this one because it is Canadian).

Then I read in another post that soft poops could be due to overfeeding. She is 25 kg. (54 lbs.) and I feed her 4 cups a day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I'm feeding her the quanities as suggested by the manufacturer.

For those with experience, does it appear that I have not found the right food for her and I should switch or wait it out should I switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

Re: I don't want to switch foods but...

I wouldn't go by what the bag says.

Look at your puppy. Does she LOOK fat? She should look just like a miniature version of an adult GSD - not a fat, rolly-polly puppy.

Run your hands over her sides - lightly. Can you feel her ribs? If you have to push to feel ribs the dog/pup is too fat.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lauri. Also, if she is at the right weight, is it possible to feed her 3 meals a day instead of 2? Sometimes even if they are getting the correct amount of food overall, getting too much at each meal can make their poops soft.

My pup was eating 4 cups of Canidae ALS at that age split into 3 meals. If we weren't home for "lunch" I just skipped it and did NOT add extra to her other 2 meals.

If you decide to change, I would try the Orijen. I know quite a few other folks that had poop issues with their pups while they were eating the Innova LBP.

Also, how close is she to 6 months? At 6 months I reduced the amount I was feeding and my pup stayed at the correct weight.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

I was on canidae, and then Natural Balance, and then Orijen in the search for good poops. (we had accompanying anal sac problems). I now use Orijen with great success, but I also supplement with canned pumpkin or squash or things like that for that added fiber. (just not too much because you know what too much fiber can lead too..)

I second (third?) what was said above- you can try the 3 meals if you really don't want to switch- or try some pumpkin. or even coconut... I am no expert though so research about that before you try

Orijen is mighty expensive, though- so maybe its worth sticking with what you are on now!

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I believe she is the correct weight. I can feel her ribs when I rub her lightly. She is a big girl. I haven't measured her lately but she was 20" tall not too long ago.

I used to feed her 3 x a day but cut out the lunch time meal as she didn't appear interested in it. I'm going to try feeding her 3 x a day first to see if there is an improvement before switching brands. If there is no improvement over the next couple weeks than I will purchase another brand, more than likely Orijen Large Breed Puppy.

I don't want to have anal sac problems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I tried the three meals a day and it didn't make much of a difference, a little easier to pick up, but still soft.

I was almost done my 2nd bag of Canidae ALS and went to the pet store to switch brands, wanting Orijen Large Breed Puppy. As luck would have it a fellow came in the day before and bought the last 4 bags of it.

I commented to the guy about my results with Canidae ALS and he said several of his customers have the same complaint. He also told me that some of his customers had problems with Innova LBP (my # 2 choice).

I was able to buy 7 bags of the sample sizes to give it a try until a shipment comes in. I'm mixing it slowing - 2/3 old food - 1/3 new for 3 or 4 days, then I will increase, the amoutn of the new. I really hope that shipment comes in soon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

If it helps at all, my pup has been on Nature's Variety Prairie (the green one...lamb I think?) and California Natural Lamb and Rice or Herring and Potato and has had nice poops except for days he had too many chews and it got runny.

My adults were on Canidae but started having poop issues so I've switched them to California Natural. Some dogs hate this food but mine love it. Poops are smaller and very solid. Also if I miss one I've noticed it breaks down within 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page