Bully Stick Alternatives....? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Bully Stick Alternatives....?

I did a search and couldn't find any relevant threads so I opted to post a new one, hopefully this is the correct section.

Anyway, I've been buying Red Barn Bully Sticks for my 4 month old puppy and she absolutely loves them... and knowing that they are natural and digestible is a big plus for me. It usually takes her a few days to get through an entire one which is great because they do last a while but I'm tired of paying $12.99 for a 3 pack! I've found bully sticks online for a little cheaper and ordered some but in the mean time what are some good alternatives that are: a) reasonably priced b) natural/digestible/healthy c) available at petsmart/petco?

TIA for any help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to Sariah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bully Stick Alternatives....?

I just checked the website http://www.bullysticks.com and they have a new stick that has knots on the ends.

Prices range from $5.99 to $11.99

the price is more but I don't see the dogs/pups chewing through them as fast.

There are a lot of different products on their site. I always bought the Select Bullies as they were thicker than what I could buy in the stores around here. 6" Select are 19.09 for 10.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: tre_... but in the mean time what are some good alternatives that are: a) reasonably priced b) natural/digestible/healthy c) available at petsmart/petco?

TIA for any help!
Not at the pet stores but almost ANY grocery store will have beef knuckle bones.

Cheap, safe and VERY good!! Will keep a 4 month old pup busy for DAYS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

For the beef knuckle bones is there anything specific I need to look/ask for? And they will be near the steaks/meat dept I assume? My grocery shopping is limited to lunch meat and top ramen so bare with me here!

Dad to Sariah
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

You will find them in the fresh or packaged beef section at the grocery store. If you can't find them just ask at the butcher counter for Beef knucles.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

No luck at the safeway or frys today... the butcher told me that the bone marrow was 'the same thing'..?

Dad to Sariah
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Yes and no, marrow bone is usually the long bone. The knucle bone is the actual joint. I forgot to have you ask if they had soup bones, some times they will call them that.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I"ll ask for that tomorrow. Will the marrow suffice for my puppy if I cannot find the knuckle/soup bones? Also, the butcher said he could cut the marrow into smaller pieces, is this ideal or is it best to just give the whole thing?

Thanks so much for your help

Dad to Sariah
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

If you can get a smaller knucle bone whole should be fine. If they cut it watch how much bone the pup is able to get chewed off. Lakota would destroy a cut knucle bone and have too much bone fragments in his stool which made him constipated.

If you are talking Marrow bone (long leg bone) you want to be careful that it is long enough that the pup can't get it jammed or hooked on their teeth. I have heard people giving short marrow bones and the dogs got them wedged on their teeth and the had to go to the Vet, dog had to be sedated and the bone cut off.

So bigger is usually better unless the pup really won't try to tackle a large knucle bone.

Val

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

http://www.bestbullysticks.com

The thick 12" sticks are $2.09 each right now.

~Kristin

and the Balakai Mesa Mutts + a GSD
Yoda, CATCH3 GM AAD AS ASA AJ TN-E TG-E OGC EJC EAC WV-O NADAC Nov/Open Vers TSAD TMAG
Darby, CL1 CL2-S CL2-F CL2-H TN-N L1-PLT
India, CL1-F CL2-H CL1-S
ATB: GSDs Baron, Duke, All American JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page