Fromm Feeding Amounts - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Fromm Feeding Amounts

Hi All,

New to the board and wanted to first thank everyone for the invaluable participation that helps out so many others. Without the information provided by people such as you there would be a lot of unhappy doggies out there.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with some feeding info. To make a long story short we have a 10wk old that has been home with is for a week now. Come to find out Mama bought the wrong food of which was unknown until I noticed the bag in the trash can 2 days ago. After hours of research on this board I decided to switch Rawley's food from the Purina One (original food) / Purina Pro (wrong food purchased) to Fromm Chicken A La Veg. Since his stool was all over the place from the food mix up I just decided to switch cold turkey.

The initial report is that he loves the stuff and his poop rates 5 gold stars (never thought I would have a poop scale) : ). My only concern is that I do not know how much I should be feeding him. The bag states 1 1/4 cup which I know is not nearly enough for the growing boy. I have sent an e-mail to Fromm but was hoping I could get some info here since it is the weekend and do not expect to get an answer from Fromm until at least Monday.

Rawley gets feed 3X's a day at 7am 12pm and 5pm. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Tango "Rawley" Vom Grunenfeld born 10-2-2008

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Re: Fromm Feeding Amounts

It totally depends on the dog. Feeding charts on bags are just a basic guideline for the amount to feed. But the problem is they don't take into account the breed, amount of daily exercise, medical conditions, age, ect of each dog thats eating the food. If I fed my Chihuahuas the recommended amount on the bag they'd be fat fat fat but if I fed my GSD the recommended amount on the bag he'd be nothing but skin and bones.

What I suggest is calculate how many calories he was eating on the Purina and then figure out how much food it would take to get him the same amount on the Fromm. The calories should be located on the back of the bag or it'll at least be on the website. (Unless you ever switch to Natural Balance, they have something about being annoying and not stating it anywhere) Adjust as needed.

Welcome to the forums btw! Be sure to post an introduction and some pictures of the pupper!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome and congrats on Rawley!

That bag recommendation is for his weight right? Which is fine for dogs, but like you said, probably not enough for puppies????

I am not sure if this is totally accurate-it's a calculator-if it is-it's pretty neat!
http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/mer.htm

Let's hope someone comes along and says yeah, just double it! I always just read the bag. I hate when all that information is not on the bag or the website. But I have fed Fromm dry foods and the dogs have done well with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

i've never fed puppy food to my dogs. i've used Natural Balance but my Shep stopped eating it after a few months. we switched to Wellness Super 5 Mix and he loves it. we also add to his food:

cooked boneless and skinless chicken breast
cooked boneless ans skinless chicken thighs
100% ground beef (raw)
organic yogurt
cooked chicken livers
sweet potatos (fresh)
pumpkin (fresh)
green vegetables

we fed our puppy twice a day. 1&1/2 cups in the am and 1&1/2 cups in the pm. a mid-day snack was always given. our boy is 18 months old now and we feed 1&1/2 cups am and pm. we actually cut back on his ood because he ws 95lbs. on his last Vet visit. we also feed give our dogs a vitamin suplement that we mix for them. i forget everything that's in it. if you pm me i'll give you the mix. my GF makes it up.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

When Otto was that age, I was giving him 2 cups a day of canidae which has a similar feeding chart.

Seriously though, you should check with your breeder about feeding puppy food. Most of us here feed an all life stages food to puppies becuase GSD puppies grow can grow too fast on puppy food - that causes stress on their joints.

My boy was on Canidae all life stages from his first solid until he was 5 1/2 months. His breeder is now recommending Fromm so I bought him the Fromm puppy - it gave him a crazy growth spurt! So I was glad it was only a 15lb bag then I put him on Fromm duck. I'm quite pleased with it.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

The Chicken A La Veg is adult food. http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-chicken.php

I've not used puppy food since reading this board either! Knock wood, seems to go well. I want to puppy sit!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the quick responses. To the comments about feeding puppy food, I was unaware that Fromm Chicken A La Veg was a puppy food. Per the http://dogfoodanalysis.com/ website it showed this as being an all life stages dog food. Did I misunderstand this?

"Fromm Four Star chicken a la veg (all-life-stages) "

Tom

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

JeanKBBMMMAAN you beat me to the punch. Nonetheless I can't afford another mistake.

Tom

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

I haven't seen chicken a la veg at the store. Glad you aren't feeding the puppy food, I so feel like I made a mistake feeding that to Otto.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I didn't think Fromm made a puppy food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page