Concerns about Canidae Food.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Concerns about Canidae Food....

About a month ago I picked up some Canidae ALS food for my 4 month old puppy as a few people on this forum and other places recommended it. She seemed to like it okay although sometimes she would only eat some of it so I would remove the dish until her next feeding... didn't seem like a huge deal as she was being fed three times a day and more often than not ate well.

Now I probably should have done this BEFORE buying the food but just now I Google'd Canidae for a couple reasons.. to see if I could find it any cheaper online and to see if there were any complaints about it. I was a little taken back when the second result to show up - directly under Canidaes official website - was this: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html

There are a TON of posts to sort through but ultimately the majority(if not all) of them are complaints(made within the past couple months) about Canidae changing its formulation and causing MANY dogs to become seriously ill - vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver problems, etc. Now my puppy had a couple days recently where she had diarrhea but it has since passed and her stool seems to be healthy again. No vomiting or seizures thankfully but I am concerned about potential liver damage or other 'internal issues' that may not be completely evident. To me she looks a bit skinny - At a little more than 3 months old she weighed in at 27lbs at the Vet's office and according to him she was very healthy so at this point its not a concern for me. But as I mentioned I am concerned about other health risks caused by this dog food as it seems to be a widespread problem.

Basically I'm looking for some feedback - Should I switch food immediately, if so to what? Should I get her checked out to err on the side of caution? Lastly I wanted to post this so that other people who are feeding their dogs Canidae can become aware of the (potential) problems this food can/has caused.

BTW, I searched and scanned the forums and didn't see any thread similar to this but if its a double post my apologies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to Sariah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Concerns about Canidae Food....

Couple things I want to address:

Regarding being recommended.... I don't know of where ANYONE has recommended this food since about June/July of 08 (some earlier). There might be 1 or 2 people still having good luck but more often than not, dogs were having issues with the formula changes. They did this before which is when I stopped feeding it.

I've not heard of liver damage with the new formula. Just vomiting and the runs. Basically if you are concerned and don't trust a dog food, then find something else you do feel comfortable feeling.

Alot of people are feeding Orijen puppy, some of us are feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific, etc. So there are options out there.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

They did change their formulas a few months ago, which caused problems with lots of dogs (mostly digestive related). There are several thread discussing this from a couple months ago when it happened. Wasn't that there was necessarily something wrong with the new formula, but rather that it was different enough from the old formula as to cause problems just from the switch.

Especially since many people weren't aware of the switch, so didn't gradually change their dogs over (as would usually be done when switching from one food to another), so their dogs ended up being switched cold turkey from one bag to the next. Sudden changes in diet like that can cause digestive problems in lots of dogs. This caused many people who didn't know about the switch until after the fact (if at all), to blame the problems on the food, rather than on the switch in the food. And unfortunately, many people who's dogs had done well on Canidae for years (me included) ended up with problems even after an adjustment period to the new formula and their dogs didn't do well on the new formula, and had to change to a different food.

There is nothing wrong with the new Canidae formulas. It is still an excellent food. But they are different from the old formulas. And not all dogs do well on all foods. I wouldn't be worried about complaints on the internet with regards to Canidae. I'd just look at your dog. If she does well on it, feed it. If she doesn't, regardless of what is posted on the internet, find something she does well on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Angela.

I guess digging up past threads on the subject of "best puppy food" was a bad idea as there were a number of (older) threads where a handful of people mentioned Canidae and more-or-less 'recommended' it as a good option. In a thread as recent as 2 months ago there was no mention of the 'problems' with the food so I assumed there was nothing to worry about.

I will be switching her food soon, thanks again for the feedback.

*edit: @ Chris Wild, thanks for the insightful post, very helpful!

Dad to Sariah
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

It is totally up to you. You need to do what YOU feel is best. My dogs have been on the new formula ALS for several months now and have NEVER had ANY issues.

I bet if you looked long enough you could find complaints about most any food on the internet.

There have been about a zillion letters of the same kind about Nutro Natural Choice on the internet also, yet I now several folks that feed it and have for YEARS and have never had a problem.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Tracy, thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I overreacted to the complaints but seeing as how they were all recent and so serious it raised some concern for me. I just wouldn't want to feed anything to my girl that would put her health at risk but at the same time I shouldnt be so paranoid I guess...

Dad to Sariah
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: tre_In a thread as recent as 2 months ago there was no mention of the 'problems' with the food so I assumed there was nothing to worry about.
Probably because those that are still feeding it aren't having any problems. The formula change was several months ago. Long before the post you mentioned above was started.

Tracy

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: tre_Tracy, thanks for the reassurance. Maybe I overreacted to the complaints but seeing as how they were all recent and so serious it raised some concern for me. I just wouldn't want to feed anything to my girl that would put her health at risk but at the same time I shouldnt be so paranoid I guess...
I wouldn't call it paranoid. You are looking out for your girl and that is a GOOD thing!

Tracy

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Also keep in mind, the people having problems with anything tend to be the most vocal. Whereas those who are problem free, tend to go about life as usual and are unlikely to post about their lack of problems. So it can create a skewed perception that problems are more widespread than they are.

We fed Canidae for years and were very happy with it. Then the formula switch and our dogs didn't do so well. No digestive problems, but their coats went downhill. So we ended up switching to another food.

I know a few others who had problems with the new food (people I know in real life, not just on the internet) who also switched.

But then I also know probably 8-10 other people (again, in real life) who have had no problems since the formula switch, are still feeding Canidae and their dogs are doing great. Including my mother, several club members, several puppy customers, etc...

So in my little corner of the world, problems with the new formulas did exist, but more people did NOT have problems than did have problems.

At the end of the day, you have to look at your dog and judge for yourself. Every dog is an individual, so no single food works for all dogs. That means sometimes having to experiment with a couple different foods until you hit on the one that works best for your own dog.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Master Member

For what it's worth I have had my 2 dogs and all of my current fosters on the new formula and have had no issues, even during the switch. They are at good weights, shiny coats and look forward to feed time. One dog has no issue with any foods and my other has had runny poops with other foods, but Canidae agrees with him.

Dawn S

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page